Killer Bees Fall to Arizona 4-3December 3, 2010 - Central Hockey League (CHL) Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
The Arizona Sundogs took a 2-0 in the first period with two nicely scored goals. Adam Smyth, Killer Bees defenseman Matt Smyth's brother, helped to create the first goal with a beautiful pass to Billy Bezeau who one-touched it pass Juliano Pagliero.
The lead was extended to two goals at the 18:44 mark of the first with a power-play strike by the Sundogs on their third power-paly of the game. The goal was scored by Cam Keith with assists to Tyler Butler and Luke Erickson.
The Killer Bees would rally in the second period to take a 3-2 lead before the horn would sound. The Bees charge back into the game started with a power-play strike by Ryan McLeod. McLeod brought the puck into the zone and drove along the boards before lifting the puck over the shoulder of goalie Doug Groenestege.
The Bees tied the game at 12:05 of the second when Jake Obermeyer potted his first goal of the season. Tyler Lehrke took a shot on net that was saved away however Obermeyer raced in from the point and ripped the rebound past Groenestege.
The Bees took their first lead of the game just two minutes later when Aaron Lee scored his seventh goal of the season. Lee put in the rebound from a Jake Obermeyer shot from the point. Obermeyer finished the night with a goal and an assist.
Rio Grande Valley took the one goal lead into the third period but a bizarre set of events would watch the Killer Bees lead disappear. At the 7:43 mark of the of the third period the Killer Bees scored a shorthanded-own-goal. After the goal was scored Matt Smyth was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for fighting.
While on the five-minute power play the Arizona Sundogs regained the lead with a Joey Sides goal. The Sundogs would hold the lead for the rest of the game as the Killer Bees threatened time and time again for the equalizer but were unable to get one in.
The Killer Bees and Sundogs will face each other against Saturday night at State Farm Arena at 7:30 p.m. The game on Saturday is the annual Teddy Bear Toss to benefit the Salvation Army. Tickets are available on killerbeehockey.com and by calling 956-843-PUCK (7825).
Central Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2010
- Mallards Outlast Rapid City in Shootout - Quad City Mallards
- Sundogs Lose Lead, Come from Behind to Top Killer Bees, 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Whelan's Hat Trick Continues 'Bugs Struggles with Alle - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Whelan, Americans Squash 'Bugs, 5-4 - Allen Americans
- Mavs Win Third Straight, 4-1, Over Texas - Missouri Mavericks
- Tulsa Edges RiverKings After 12-Round Shootout - Mississippi RiverKings
- Killer Bees Fall to Arizona 4-3 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Komets Cooled by Thunder 5-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Comeback Attempt Falls Just Short for Gems - Dayton Gems
- Penalty-Filled Period Sways Game in Eagles Loss - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas Give up Four in Loss Against Mavs - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Jacks Shoot Down Bucks with Big Third Period, 4-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Third Period Dooms Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- PrairieThunder Defeats Fort Wayne 5-3 - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- RiverKings Sign Rookie Forward Auger - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans Make Roster Moves - Allen Americans
- Rush Battle Mallards in First Ever Meeting Tonight at the Civic Center - Rapid City Rush
- Colorado's Kyle Jones Named Sher-Wood Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Fort Wayne Komets Welcome Bloomington Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Weekend Preview - Evansville - Dayton Gems
- RiverKings Start Weekend Play in Tulsa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Look to Continue Climb Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Shots from the Point - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.