Legends Edge Hickory, 3-2; Martinez Promoted to Double-AJuly 15, 2010 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Lexington Legends
The Legends struck first in the bottom of the fourth inning. Renzo Tello singled to lead off the inning and advanced to second on an errant pickoff attempt. Martinez singled, but Tello was thrown out at the plate by left fielder Christian Santana as Martinez moved to second on the throw. After Jake Goebbert walked and Kody Hinze struck out, Jonathan Meyer singled to left field, scoring Martinez to give the Legends a 1-0 lead. Goebbert was thrown out trying to advance to third after Martinez scored. The Legends added a run in the bottom of the seventh inning when Renzo Tello's infield grounder scored Rene Garcia from third.
The Legends added another run in the bottom of the eighth for a 3-0 margin. Jake Goebbert led off with a walk and moved to second when Kody Hinze grounded out to third. After Jonathan Meyer struck out, Jiovanni Mier singled to center field, scoring Goebbert.
The eighth-inning run would be decisive. With two on and two outs in the ninth, Hickory pinch hitter Jared Bolden lined a double to center field, scoring two runs. With Bolden representing the tying run at second, Jared Prince lifted a fly ball into shallow center field where Hogue made a diving catch for the final out.
Jose Cisnero (4-5), the starter for Lexington, picked up his first win since May 30 with a strong six-inning performance, giving up only two hits while striking out eight. Neil Ramirez (7-6) was the starter and the loser for Hickory.
Martinez had two hits in three at-bats, increasing his league-leading batting average to .362 in his last game as a Legend. He leaves the South Atlantic League as the current leader in batting average, hits with 126, doubles with 31, on-base percentage at .433, slugging percentage at .598, extra base hits with 49, runs scored with 83 and total bases with 208. He is tied for second in home runs with 15, and second to teammate Kody Hinze in RBI (68-64)
The series continues Friday night at Applebee's Park. Gates open at 6:00 p.m. and the game begins at 7:05 p.m.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 15, 2010
- Legends Edge Hickory, 3-2; Martinez Promoted to Double-A - Lexington Legends
- Gnats Stall Drive with 3-2 Win Thursday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Jiwan James Breaks Claws Hit Streak Record in 6-5 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Intimidators Lose in Extras 6-5 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- 'Dads Ninth Inning Rally Falls Just Short - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Come up Just Short Versus Sand Gnats, 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Santana's So Smooth, Doubles R'Dogs by Greenjackets 6-5 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Bullpen Leaky in 6-5 Augusta Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shorebirds Win Fourth Straight, 3-0 Over West Virginia - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Nationals Starter Scott Olsen to Appear in Hagerstown - Hagerstown Suns
- Gnats Game Notes: Thursday, July 15 Vs. Greenville - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Chick-fil-A Night, July 17th at Fieldcrest Cannon Stadium - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Crawdads Featured in ESPN Commercial - Hickory Crawdads
- Kannapolis Intimidators Host Blood Drive - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Shorebirds Game Notes - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Schlehuber Sent to Myrtle Beach - Rome Braves
- "Be Your Own Statue Night" Goes Greene - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.