PCL Top Prospects Card Set Includes 'Rojo' CardJune 24, 2010 - Pacific Coast League (PCL)
The annually-produced set features attractive, glossy cards including future household names such as Buster Posey, Madison Bumgarner, Brett Wallace, Logan Morrison and Jason Castro. Past PCL Top Prospects have included Tim Lincecum, Ubaldo Jimenez and Ryan Braun. Sets are on sale now, per availability, at the team stores of each of the PCL's 16 clubs.
This year, in addition to highlighting 35 of the game's top young stars, the PCL has replaced the checklist with a card sure to catch the attention of collectors everywhere - a one-of-a-kind Will Ferrell card, pictured in-character as mysterious Round Rock Express pitcher "Rojo" Johnson.
On May 6 at The Dell Diamond in Round Rock, Ferrell entered the game as "Rojo," sporting flashy gold chains and the number 99 on his jersey. After taking his warm-up tosses and intentionally throwing at a fictitious member of the opposing Nashville Sounds, "Rojo" was ejected from the game, ending his career with a 0.00 ERA and a 1-0 count.
Ferrell made the appearance to promote Cancer for College, a 501 (c) 3 charitable foundation founded by his friend and former USC classmate Craig Pollard, a two-time cancer survivor and double-amputee. Pollard created the charity to provide hope and inspiration to cancer survivors by granting college scholarships. Over $1 million in scholarships have been awarded since the group's inception in 1993.
The PCL would like to thank Mr. Ferrell and Cancer for College for authorizing this card, and would also like to announce that 500 limited edition "Rojo" Johnson cards - 100 individually- numbered and signed by Ferrell himself - will be available for a donation on the organization's website at www.cancerforcollege.org later this summer.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 24, 2010
- Big First Inning Pushes Sky Sox to 10-5 Win - Reno Aces
- Bowker, Sosa Lead Grizzlies over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Fuld Helps Lift I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Fall Short Against Albuquerque 4-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Silence 'Birds in Shutout - Memphis Redbirds
- Davis Sharp in Rehab Start, Sounds Blank Redbirds - Nashville Sounds
- Freight House District to Host World Cup Viewing Party - Reno Aces
- Zephyrs Sign Armando Benitez - New Orleans Zephyrs
- First-Place Grizzlies Return Home for Twilight Night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Banks Promoted to Houston, Will Start Saturday - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Triple-A All-Star Broadcast Details Announced - PCL
- Triple-A All-Star Umpires Announced - PCL
- PCL Top Prospects Card Set Includes 'Rojo' Card - PCL
- Rainiers Roll By Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- Beavers Sweep Grizzlies With Two 2-1 Wins - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.