Sharks score franchise record nine goals with win in HartfordApril 7, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Worcester Sharks Press Release
Nine players had a multi-point game for the Sharks, Worcester had three power play goals, and Alex Stalock made 24 saves in his 38th victory of the season. Justin Braun had three assists in his first pro game, Danny Groulx set a Sharks record with his 12th goal from the blue line, and Dan DaSilva and Brandon Mashinter each reached the 20 goal plateau as the Sharks exploded for a franchise record nine goals in the hockey game.
The Sharks scored three goals and had rock solid goaltending by Alex Stalock in the opening period. Dan DaSilva (20th) fired a shot from the left circle that banked off Matt Zaba at 1:27 to give the Sharks a 1-0 lead. T.J. Trevelyan (27th) scored on his own rebound after a strong dig in the Hartford crease to put Worcester ahead 2-0. Rookie Justin Braun's shot from the right point was deflected in front by Brandon Mashinter (20th) with 1.2 seconds remaining as the Sharks headed into the locker room ahead by three goals outshooting Hartford 15-10.
Each team scored a special teams goal in the second in a period capped by a wild brawl at 18:07.
Kris Newbury (14th) extended his point streak to eight games at 4:00 with a shorthanded tally after he tapped the puck past Stalock after a great centering feed by Dan Byers on the shorthanded rush. Newbury received 22 penalty minutes and got the gate for arguing a non-call with referee Terry Koharski at 16:56 to give the Sharks a power play. T.J. Trevelyan (28th) fired a shot from on top of the left circle that was deflected off the skate of a Wolf Pack defender and past Zaba at 17:06 to give the Sharks a 4-1 lead. After Dwight Helminen was knocked down by an open ice check by Julien Broulliette, a wild brawl broke out in front of the Sharks bench at 18:07 that involved all ten skaters and the Sharks bench. Frazer McLaren and Jared Nightingale each received fighting majors to highlight the brawling.
Worcester put the game away in the third period with five goals; four of which came in the first 8:37 of the final period. John McCarthy (15th) scored at: 39 seconds followed by James Marcou's first professional goal at 1:27 to give the Sharks a 6-1 lead. Cory Quirk (8th), Brandon Mashinter (21st), and Danny Groulx (12th) also touched the back of the net in the final period to set a franchise record for nine goals in a game. Dane Byers (23rd) scored at 10:45 of the third period for the Wolf Pack.
Win the win, Worcester's record improves to (48-23-3-3, 102 points) and they now lead the Atlantic Division by three points over Portland. Worcester has three regular season games left this season (1 road, 2 home) and have a franchise best 102 points this season. The Sharks have clinched at least 2nd place in the Atlantic Division and will host Game 1 of the first round of the Calder Cup playoffs on Wednesday, April 14th at the DCU Center at 7pm. (opponent yet to be determined).
Notes: Three Stars: (3) Mashinter (2-0-2), (2) Braun (0-3-3-), (1) Trevelyan (2-0-2)... San Jose draft pick and UMass-Amherst product Justin Braun made his professional debut and had two assists in the opening period and three total...Alex Stalock made 28 saves for Worcester...Matt Zaba made 21 saves for Hartford and allowed six goals before being pulled in favor of Cameron Talbot...Final shots were 38-26 in favor of the Sharks... Worcester went 3-7 on the power play while Hartford went 1-3... Brett Westgarth picked up his 9th fighting major and Frazer McLaren his 11th...The Sharks finished their seven game road trip 3-2-1-0 and is now 3-4-0-0 vs. the Wolf Pack this season.
On Friday, April 9th, the Sharks host the Hartford Wolf Pack at the back end of a home-and-home series. Olympic Silver medalist, Erica Lawler from the US Women's hockey team will be honored as the "Leader of the Month" in part of the "Be A Leader" program presented by the Law Firm of Abigail Williams & Associates. Erika will sign autographs during the first intermission! Before the game, the Worcester Junior Wildcats Selects will face the Nichols College Men's Club Team in the finals of the Worm Pot. Representatives from the AHL will hand out the ALL-Rookie Team Award to Alex Stalock and Danny Groulx will collect his First Team All-Star trophy in a pregame ceremony. The FINALS for the 3rd annual Worcester Sharks Youth Hockey Shootout will take place during the first intermission as youth hockey (mites-bantams) players will battle for the best shooter and goaltender in Worcester County! Friday night's game will be shown LIVE on Charter TV3 with a 7pm faceoff.
On Saturday, April 10th, the Sharks close out their regular season home schedule as they host the Providence Bruins at the DCU Center of Fan Appreciation Night at 7pm. Doors will open at 4pm as the Boston Bruins Alumni will take the DCU Center ice with proceeds to benefit the "Why Me" organization of Worcester. The Alumni game begins at 4:30pm. A PARTY on the PLAZA will take place from 5:30-7pm with table games, face painters, the WXLO street team, and FINZ will be hanging out with some of his other mascot friends! One lucky fan will win a 32" flat screen television and the Sharks will be raffling off other great prizes in part of Fan Appreciation Night!
Saturday night is your FINAL chance to root on the Sharks before GAME ONE of the Calder Cup playoffs at the DCU Center on Wednesday, April 14th (opponent yet to be determined).
Purchase your Family Fun Pack today, which includes 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs & 4 sodas for only $65! Each addition person is just $16.25 per person.
2010 Playoff tickets are on sale now! As of now, only the first two Sharks home games in the first round are on sale "Games A & B". Season ticket holders will get the first round of the Calder Cup playoffs for FREE by placing a deposit on season tickets for the 2010-11 Sharks season by April 10th. Ticket strips for the first round (possible four games) and the entire playoff package (possible 16 games) are on sale now. Save up to 20% off Box Office prices by purchasing the first round or the entire playoff package today! For more information call the Sharks front office at 508-929-0500.
The Sharks are already taking deposits for their 5th season in Worcester! Jump in today and save over 30% off box office prices! Find out how to get the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs for FREE by calling the Sharks front office 508-929-0500. Some of the exclusive benefits for full season ticket holders will include:
* Guaranteed same seat for all 40 home dates and playoff home games at the DCU Center
* Significant savings off box office ticket prices
* Priority access to purchase tickets to DCU Center events (subject to availability)
Season ticket packages, group tickets, and individual tickets for the 2009-10 and season are on sale now by contacting the Worcester Sharks Office at 508.929.0500 or by crashing the net at www.SharksAHL.com.
All games can be heard live on 580AM and 94.9FM WTAG, as well as online through AHL Live, by following the link on the Sharks website at www.SharksAHL.com.
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2010
- Monsters Fight Back to Win in Shootout - Lake Erie Monsters
- Monsters Storm Heat, Win 5-4 in Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
- Wolf Pack Devoured by Worcester Sharks, 9-2 - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Nip Admirals, 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Tax Americans, 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Special Teams, Goaltending Key In Admirals Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Greg Gilbert Records 300th Career AHL Victory - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Double Up Amerks to Halt Winning Streak - Rochester Americans
- Sharks score franchise record nine goals with win in Hartford - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Earn Point in Adirondack, but Fall to Phantoms 3-2 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Finish Up Regular Season this Weekend - Milwaukee Admirals
- Dallas Recalls Gagnon, Returns Climie - Texas Stars
- Abbotsford Heat host 'Heat in the Street' - Abbotsford Heat
- Left Wing Bickell Recalled To Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Guy Boucher named AHL's Outstanding Coach - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolves Get Reinforcements From Atlanta As Chelios And Stapleton Return - Chicago Wolves
- Former Crunch Captains Mike Gaul And David Ling To Take Part In Pre-Game Ceremonies On Saturday, Apr - Syracuse Crunch
- Individual Playoff Tickets On Sale Now - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Capitals Assign Karl Alzner And Jay Beagle To Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Rampage To Host Boy Scout Night This Saturday - San Antonio Rampage
- Al Arbour Unable To Attend Friday Amerks Game - Rochester Americans
- Hamilton's Guy Boucher Named AHL's Outstanding Coach For 2009-10 - AHL
- Pirates Sign Erickson - Portland Pirates
- Moose Release Ryan McGinnis From PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Announce Playoff Dates For North Division Semi-Final - Manitoba Moose
- Boston Bruins Alumni And Olympic Silver Medalist Erika Lawler At DCU Center This Weekend - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
- Greenberg Witnesses Milwaukee Sports History - Milwaukee Admirals
- Columbus Recalls Left Wing Tom Sestito - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Host Broome County High School Hockey Association All-Star Game Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Host Americans Tonight - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.