Frederick Closes Out Home Schedule on Winning NoteSeptember 3, 2009 - Carolina League (CarL) Frederick Keys
The Indians got on the scoreboard in the first inning. LF Lucas Montero led off the game with a solo homerun, making it 1-0.
Frederick tied it up in the bottom of the first. CF Kyle Hudson led things off with a single. He got to second on a ground out. DH Lou Montanez, a rehabbing outfielder from the Baltimore Orioles, knocked him in with a single to center.
The Keys took the lead in the second. 1B Joe Mahoney drilled his first Carolina League homerun to right-center field, giving Frederick a 2-1 advantage.
The lead lasted until the top of the sixth inning. With two men out, 1B Doug Pickens and CF Adam Davis reached on back-to-back infield singles. SS Ronald Rivas then lined a ball to RF Billy Rowell. He dropped the ball, allowing Pickens to score, and tying the game at two.
LHP Rick Zagone would exit with two outs in the sixth. He went 5.2 innings, and allowed two runs, one earned, on six hits. He walked two and struck out nine.
The game stay tied until the bottom of the 12th. Mahoney led off the inning with a bunt. 2B Bobby Stevens laid down a sac bunt. RHP Chen-Chang Lee fielded the ball and threw it away, allowing Mahoney to score from second and giving the Keys the 3-2 win.
LHP Jake Stevens (5-6) pitched two shut out innings of relief to pick up the win. Lee (4-6) took the loss.
The Keys will hit the road on Friday, as they close out their season with a four-game series at the Wilmington Blue Rocks. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 7:05 PM. We would like to thank all of our fans for making the 2009 season a success.
Carolina League Stories from September 3, 2009
- Federowicz Blast Ties It, But Salem Falls In 11 - Salem Red Sox
- Curtis Walk-Off Blast in 11th Puts Dash Back in First Place - Winston-Salem Dash
- Offensive Outburst Lifts Cats Past P-Nats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Crooked Numbers Doom Nats in Loss to Cats - Potomac Nationals
- Kinston Falls Short, But Stays Tied for Final Playoff Spot - Kinston Indians
- Frederick Closes Out Home Schedule on Winning Note - Frederick Keys
- Top-10 Prospect Sent to Rangers in Two-For-One Deal - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dash Pair Garner Caroline League Postseason Accolades - Winston-Salem Dash
- K-Tribe Notes for Thursday at Frederick - Kinston Indians
- Hillcats Host Benefit for Hannah Johnson - Lynchburg Hillcats
- P-Nats Picked for Postseason All-Star Squad - Potomac Nationals
- Widlansky Named Player of the Month - Frederick Keys
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.