Nunez Selected to 2009 Eastern League All-Star TeamAugust 28, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) Trenton Thunder
(Trenton, NJ)- The Trenton Thunder, Double-A Affiliate of the New York Yankees, have announced that INF Eduardo Nunez has been selected to the 2009 Eastern League All-Star team.
Nunez is hitting .317 with eight home runs and 51 RBI in 111 games this season. He also has 23 doubles, 63 runs scored, and 19 stolen bases. He is second in Eastern League in hits (144), fifth in Batting Average, and eighth in stolen bases. So far in August, Nunez is hitting .387 in 24 games. He had a .356 BA in May with 19 runs, three home runs, and 12 RBI. He was selected to the 2009 EL All-Star Game and went 2 x 3 with an RBI. Nunez hit .271 with six home runs and 42 RBI in 94 games last season for Tampa (High-A). Nunez was originally signed by the Yankees as a non-drafted free agent on February 25, 2004.
The selections for the 2009 EL All-Star Team are as follows:
1B: Brett Pill (CON)
2B: Brock Bond (CON)
3B: Neil Sellers (REA)
SS: Eduardo Nunez (TRE)
C: Carlos Santana (AKR)
OF: Quintin Berry (REA)
OF: Brennan Boesch (ERI)
OF: Michael Taylor (REA)
DH: Brian Dopirak (NHP)
UTL: Brian Dinkelman (NBR)
RHP: Jeanmar Gomez (AKR)
LHP: Joe Savery (REA)
RP: Anthony Slama (NBR)
Nunez joins the following Thunder players who have been named to the Eastern League Post-Season All-Star team: Phil Coke (2008), Alan Horne (2007), Randy Ruiz (2006), Shelley Duncan (2005), Mitch Jones (2004), Freddy Sanchez (2002), Shea Hillenbrand (2000), David Eckstein (1999), Raul Gonzalez (1999), Dernell Stenson (1998), Adam Hyzdu (1996), Walt McKeel (1996), Carl Pavano (1996), Pork Chop Pough (1995), Nomar Garciaparra (1995), and Tony Clark (1994).
Trenton opens up a four-game series with the New Britain Rock Cats (Double-A affiliate of the Minnesota Twins) on Friday night from Waterfront Park. LHP Jeremy Bleich (3-6, 6.47) will start for Trenton against New Britain RHP Cole DeVries (7-13, 4.66). Game time is set for 7:05 pm.
Eastern League Stories from August 28, 2009
- Curve come away with 9-6 victory - Altoona Curve
- Gorneault drives in three runs in 6-2 victory over Sea Dogs - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Aeros Drop Rain-Shortened Affair, 3-1 - Akron Aeros
- Binghamton Takes Rain-Shortened Contest from Akron, 3-1 - Binghamton Mets
- Portland drops the opener to Cats 6-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox and Phillies Rained Out - Bowie Baysox
- R-Phils rained out Friday, Myers to pitch in Saturday DH - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Game Postponed - Trenton Thunder
- Senators and Defenders rained out Friday night - Harrisburg Senators
- Defenders & Senators Rained Out - Connecticut Defenders
- Pill & Bond Named E.L. All Stars - Connecticut Defenders
- Aeros Media Notes - Akron Aeros
- Dopirak Named 2009 Eastern League All-Star DH - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Fisher Cats/Sea Dogs Doubleheader Switched to Sunday, August 30 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Santana, Gomez Named All-Stars - Akron Aeros
- Nunez Selected to 2009 Eastern League All-Star Team - Trenton Thunder
- 2009 Eastern League All-Star Team Announced - EL
- Daniel promoted to AAA Syracuse - Fermaint joins Sens from Hagerstown - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.