Cutters Winning Streak SnappedJuly 30, 2009 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Williamsport Crosscutters
Batavia scored both of their runs in the top of the first inning aided by CF Leandro Castro's fielding error. Williamsport cut the lead to one in the bottom of the second when SS Jeremy Barnes ripped a triple to right field and scored on 3B Anthony Hewitt's RBI groundout to short.
In the bottom of the 3rd Williamsport had the potential tying run on third base with one out, but they were unable to push the run across.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS: In game two the Cutters received another strong outing from their starting pitcher as Joshua Zeid (3-3, 2.79) picked up his third win of the season pitching a masterful six innings of three hit ball striking out nine Muckdogs.
Unlike the first game the Crosscutters provided Zeid with some early run support, plating four in the bottom of the first inning.
With two outs in the frame CF Leandro Castro hit a double to left, and scored on SS Jeremy Barnes single to right field to bring home the first run of the inning.
RF Zach Collier then blooped a double to right field leaving two runners on for 1B Francisco Murillo. Murillo launched his fourth home run of the season, a three run opposite field blast to right centerfield, giving the Cutters all the runs they would need in the 4-0 shutout win.
After working out of a small jam in the top of the first, Zeid retired 15 consecutive batters.
With two outs in the top of the 6th the Muckdogs put two runners on base after consecutive singles by SS Ryan Jackson and 3B Niko Vasquez, but that was all they would get as Zeid struck out one of the top RBI men in the NY-PL, Xavier Scruggs.
Cutters hit the road Friday for a two-game series in Jamestown followed by two in Batavia before returning to Bowman Field to start a 6-game homestand on Tuesday (8/4). All games can be heard on ESPN 1050AM, ESPN 104.1FM or online at crosscutters.com.
New York-Penn League Stories from July 30, 2009
- Lake Monsters Split Double-Header - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Spikes Split Double-Header with Spikes - State College Spikes
- Cutters Winning Streak Snapped - Williamsport Crosscutters
- 'Birds Bounce Back, Win 3-1 - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Take Game One From Jammers - State College Spikes
- Spikes Highlight Green Efforts During All-Star Game - State College Spikes
- Special $5.00 Ticket Offer & Fins to the Left Concert - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- IronBirds Game Notes July 30th - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Thursday Doubleheader Details - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Muckdogs Return Home Next Week - Batavia Muckdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.