Erie SeaWolves at Akron Aeros...Game Three of FourJuly 29, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) Erie SeaWolves
Tonight, the SeaWolves look to snap a two-game losing skid as they take the field in the third game of a four-game series against the Akron Aeros (Cleveland Indians) at Canal Park. Last night, Akron won its second straight over the Wolves, 7-4. It was the first time this season that Erie has dropped back-to-back games to the Aeros. Akron has won three of the last four meetings between the two clubs since Erie won nine straight from May 29-July 21. The loss dropped the SeaWolves to 2-4 at Canal Park...Last night's loss dropped the Howlers to five games behind the first place Aeros in the EL South. Erie maintained a one-game lead over third place Reading and a 1.5 games lead over fourth place Bowie who both lost last night...Erie's road woes continued last night as the club dropped to 20-29 away from Jerry Uht Park. Erie has dropped four of its last six road games. Erie has the fewest road wins among EL teams with records above .500. The only teams with fewer road wins than the Wolves are Harrisburg, Altoona and Binghamton...The Wolves are looking to avoid their first three-game losing streak since they lost seven straight (longest losing streak of the season) June 24-29....Casper Wells has hit safely in a season-high and career-high 16 straight games. His previous career-best hitting streak was in 2008 when he hit safely in nine straight games twice with Erie. During the streak, he is hitting .393 (24x61) with five home runs and 16 RBI He has six two-hit games, and one three-hit game and has raised his batting average from .212 to .276 during the streak...The Wolves need wins in the final two games vs. Akron to avoid their first losing series to the Aeros.
TODAY'S NOTABLES -
- Erie leads the season series over Akron 12-5. The SeaWolves and Aeros meet 27 times in 2009. It is the most times Erie will face an opponent this season.
- Erie's pitching staff is sixth in the league with a 3.85 team ERA. Akron's pitching staff is tied for third in the league with a 3.43 team ERA,
- Erie is tied for fourth in the league with a .263 team batting average. Akron is ninth in the league with a .255 team batting average.
- The SeaWolves lead the league with 121 home runs and 532 runs scored. Erie is the first team in the EL to score 500-plus runs.
- Brennan Boesch leads the league with 21 home runs and seven triples. He fourth with 67 RBI and is second with 48 extra-base hits.
- The Wolves have turned 107 double plays which is fourth-most in the EL.
- Erie pitchers have walked 304 hitters this season which is second-fewest allowed by a team in the league. Erie is averaging 2.98 walks allowed per game. Only Akron has allowed fewer walks (291).
- SeaWolves hitters have struck out a league-high 839 times. As a team, Erie is averaging 8.22 strikeouts per game.
- Alex Avila is second in the league throwing out potential base stealers at a clip of 45.2 percent.
- 34 of Andy Dirks 38 RBI have come with runners in scoring position.
- Through 102 games, the SeaWolves have an identical record to that of the 2007 Southern Division Championship club.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE AND STARTING PITCHERS -
THURSDAY at AKRON - 7:05 FIRST PITCH RHP Thad Weber (4-2, 3.56 ERA) vs. RHP Josh Tomlin (9-8, 4.16 ERA)
FRIDAY vs. READING - 7:05 FIRST PITCH LHP Ramon Garcia (2-1, 5.89 ERA) vs. LHP Yohan Flande (1-2, 5.22 ERA)
SATURDAY vs. READING - 7:05 FIRST PITCH LHP Jon Kibler (6-6, 4.05 ERA) vs. RHP Kyle Drabek (7-1, 3.06 ERA)
SUNDAY vs. READING - 1:05 FIRST PITCH RHP Pat Stanley (4-4, 4.75 ERA) vs. LHP Joe Savery (12-4, 4.41 ERA)
Eastern League Stories from July 29, 2009
- Tanaka Trounces Defenders - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Hang on for 5-4 Win over Rock Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Defenders Fall to Baysox - Connecticut Defenders
- Aeros Bullpen Key in 5-1 Victory over Erie - Akron Aeros
- Portland Out Powered by Reading, lose 6-5 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Newly Aquired Right-Hander to Play for Curve - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets Rained Out in Altoona Wednesday Night - Binghamton Mets
- Game Postponed - Altoona Curve
- Sens and Trenton Thunder Rained Out Wednesday Night - Harrisburg Senators
- Doubleheader Postponed - Trenton Thunder
- Free Soccer Balls Tonight! - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Aerodynamics - Akron Aeros
- The Force Is Strong In Bowie, Baysox Host Star Wars Night - Bowie Baysox
- Akron Aeros Revised Roster Move - Akron Aeros
- Erie SeaWolves at Akron Aeros...Game Three of Four - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Place Goedert on DL; Activate Graham - Akron Aeros
- Rock Cats Set for Weekend Homestand - New Britain Rock Cats
- Pirates' Phil Dumatrait to Rehab With Curve on Friday - Altoona Curve
- Wild Night Ends In Defeat For Baysox - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.