Hicks Impressive in Split Double DipJune 20, 2009 - Midwest League (MWL) Beloit Snappers
Twins' 2008 first round pick Aaron Hicks made his Midwest League debut as he went 2-for-4 with an RBI's and a run scored.
In the second inning outfielder Ozzie Lewis put the Snappers on the board with a solo blast to left field; it was Lewis' sixth home run of the season.
The game broke open for the Snappers in the third as they scored four unanswered runs to put the Snappers up by five.
Jeffrey Lanning led off with a double followed by another double by Drew Thompson which drove in Lanning for the first run of the frame. James Beresford singled to move Thompson to third. Hicks would collect his first hit, double, and RBI as he poked a double to right center field that scored Thompson. Ramon Santana would walk to load the bases. The scoring continued when Lewis would then reach on an error by River Bandits shortstop Jose Garcia to score Beresford giving the Snappers the 4-0 lead. First baseman Jon Waltenbury would end the scoring by grounding out to first that scored Hicks.
The Snappers would score one more time in the fifth to give starting pitcher Bobby Lanigan all the support he needed to pick up the win.
Game two started off well for the Snappers as they scratched across the first run of the game when Michael Harrington doubled home Aaron Hicks who had walked previously. It was also Harrington's 22nd double of the season, which leads the Snappers.
After the first inning River Bandits starting pitcher Brett Zawacki slammed the door on the Snappers by pitching the next five innings allowing no runs and eventually picking his first win of '09.
The River Bandits went on to score six unanswered runs to win the game 6-1.
The same two teams will end the first half Sunday afternoon starting at 2:00pm as Michael Tarsi (2-1) will make the start for the Snappers as he squares off against River Bandit Arquimedes Nieto (1-5).
Midwest League Stories from June 20, 2009
- Hicks Impressive in Split Double Dip - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Clinch First-Half Title With Sweep - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps, Hawks Halted Early By Rain - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bandits win game two to split doubleheader - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Win 5-3 Saturday and Eliminated From Playoffs - Peoria Chiefs
- Drama in Dayton - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Record Crowd Sees Votto Homer, But Dragons Lose - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars split DH, clinch playoff spot! - Kane County Cougars
- Hawks Fall Twice More to TinCaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Loons Make It a Perfect Ten - Great Lakes Loons
- Hatch Haunts Lugnuts in 6-4 Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kane County gets the split - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Drop Third In a Row to Peoria - Burlington Bees
- Game One Goes To Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Former TinCap Blanks makes MLB debut - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons announce additional roster moves - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Game Notes for June 20 - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels clinch playoff berth - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.