Sexsmith is CHL record holderNovember 12, 2008 - Western Hockey League (WHL) - Vancouver Giants
When contacted at the CHL Head Office in Scarborough, ONT, Paul Krotz, CHL Director of Media/Information Services, confirmed the record today, with a couple of provisions:
'The CHL recognizes that Tyson Sexsmith is the CHL record holder based on the fact that the OHL and QMJHL do not track that record,' says Krotz. 'When Tyson set the WHL record last week, I went into the OHL and QMJHL record books to see if there were any prominent goaltenders from either league that had a shot at 22 shutouts or more. It is safe to say that unless a player comes out of the woodwork with verifiable information from the 50's or 60's, that no player in the modern era of major junior hockey has the number of shutouts that Tyson Sexsmith has.'
Sexsmith, a nineteen year old goaltender from Priddis, Alberta, set the CHL record for shutouts last week in Prince George, shutting out the Cougars 5-0 on November 7th. Sexsmith recorded his 22nd shutout in his 137th career WHL regular season game. Sexsmith eclipses the record of Brian Bridges from the Seattle Thunderbirds and Leland Irving of the Everett Silvertips, who both have 21 career shutouts. Bridges took 213 games to accomplish his feat while Irving took 195. Sexsmith tied the record in Game 131, 64 fewer games than it took Irving and 82 games faster than Bridges. Sexsmith was drafted by San Jose in the 3rd round, 91st overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. Sexsmith was also a first round pick, 14th overall, of the Giants back in the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft.
The Vancouver Giants would once again like to congratulate Tyson on his record. 'Tyson continues to provide us with great goaltending on most nights,' comments Giants Head Coach Don Hay. 'His consistency in the net gives our team a great chance to compete every game.'
Next up the Giants will take on the Kelowna Rockets in the Okanagan on Wednesday night. Pre game show on AM 650 will be at 6:30. Dave Sheldon will have the call of the game from Prospera Place at 7 p.m.
Western Hockey League Stories from November 12, 2008
- Oil Kings Lose A Heartbreaker In The Hat - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Blades Edge Thunderbirds 2-1 in Shootout - Saskatoon Blades
- Silvertips Defeat Moose Jaw, 5-2 - Everett Silvertips
- Blades Defeat T-Birds in Shootout - Saskatoon Blades
- Three Warriors Named to Team West - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Carter Berg Named to Team West Under 17 Team - Chilliwack Bruins
- Lethbridge Visits Tonight - Spokane Chiefs
- Sexsmith is CHL record holder - Vancouver Giants
- Kyle Aschim Assigned to St. Albert (AJHL) - Prince Albert Raiders
- Team Western Roster Unveiled - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Breitkreuz Re-Assigned - Regina Pats
- Chiefs Weekly Report - Spokane Chiefs
- Wheat Kings Double 'Tips, 6-3 - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Giants Fall to Bruins, 3-2 - Vancouver Giants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.