Former Cutter Spencer Traded to OaklandJuly 18, 2008 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Williamsport Crosscutters
Blanton, 27, who had been spending his All-Star break in Nashville, Tenn., expects to fly to Florida on Friday. Scheduled to pitch on Friday for the A's, he could start on on Wednesday, with right-hander Adam Eaton expected to move to the bullpen.
The teams announced the deal on Thursday, ending nearly 16 months of speculation regarding Blanton, who is 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA in 20 starts for Oakland. He joins fellow pitchers Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin in an exodus from the A's. They were dealt to the Cubs.
Cardenas, a supplemental first-round pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, was one of the organization's top prospects, and was hitting .309 with four homers and 23 RBIs for Class A Clearwater. He was trade bait almost from the day he was drafted, as his prime position is second base, currently occupied by Chase Utley.
Outman was selected as a 10th-round pick in 2005 and had been pitching in relief at Double-A Reading, going 4-2 with a 3.22 ERA in 28 relief outings. Spencer, a third-round pick in 2007, was batting .249 with six homers and 41 RBIs at Clearwater.
New York-Penn League Stories from July 18, 2008
- Renegades Drop Rubber Match, 7-1 - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes drop 7-1 decision - State College Spikes
- Spinners walk off with win Friday Night - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- 'Cutters rained out - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Lake Monsters Game Postponed - Vermont Lake Monsters
- KO at "The Joe": Part Deux - Tri-City ValleyCats
- State College Spikes Game Notes - State College Spikes
- Former Cutter Spencer Traded to Oakland - Williamsport Crosscutters
- ValleyCats Set To Take on Red Sox Affiliate Lowell - Tri-City ValleyCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.