Former Cutter Spencer Traded to Oakland
Former Crosscutters outfielder Matt Spencer was traded to the Oakland A's on Thursday night as part of the swap that landed starting pitcher Joe Blanton in Philly. The Phils also sent top prospects Adrian Cardenas and Josh Outman to the Athletics in the trade. Spencer spent the 2007 season in Williamsport hitting .263 with 9 home runs and 26 RBI's.
Blanton, 27, who had been spending his All-Star break in Nashville, Tenn., expects to fly to Florida on Friday. Scheduled to pitch on Friday for the A's, he could start on on Wednesday, with right-hander Adam Eaton expected to move to the bullpen.
The teams announced the deal on Thursday, ending nearly 16 months of speculation regarding Blanton, who is 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA in 20 starts for Oakland. He joins fellow pitchers Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin in an exodus from the A's. They were dealt to the Cubs.
Cardenas, a supplemental first-round pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, was one of the organization's top prospects, and was hitting .309 with four homers and 23 RBIs for Class A Clearwater. He was trade bait almost from the day he was drafted, as his prime position is second base, currently occupied by Chase Utley.
Outman was selected as a 10th-round pick in 2005 and had been pitching in relief at Double-A Reading, going 4-2 with a 3.22 ERA in 28 relief outings. Spencer, a third-round pick in 2007, was batting .249 with six homers and 41 RBIs at Clearwater.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from July 18, 2008
- Renegades Drop Rubber Match, 7-1 - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes drop 7-1 decision - State College Spikes
- Spinners walk off with win Friday Night - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- 'Cutters rained out - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Lake Monsters Game Postponed - Vermont Lake Monsters
- KO at "The Joe": Part Deux - Tri-City ValleyCats
- State College Spikes Game Notes - State College Spikes
- Former Cutter Spencer Traded to Oakland - Williamsport Crosscutters
- ValleyCats Set To Take on Red Sox Affiliate Lowell - Tri-City ValleyCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Williamsport Crosscutters Stories
- Crosscutters Looking for Host Families
- 8th Annual Cutters 5K Race Set for June 23
- Cutters Celebrating 20 Seasons in '18
- NYPL Scholarship Contest Announced
- Latest Bowman Field Hall of Famer & Sports Walk Inductees to be Honored at Cutters 12th Annual Hot S