Spinners walk off with win Friday Night
In the final game of the three game series the Scrappers were looking for the sweep, but the Spinners scored first in the bottom of the first. It was a Mitch Denning single then Jeff Natalie followed with an RBI double.
The Scrappers tied the game at one in the top of the second when Walter Diaz worked a bases loaded walk. Then the Spinners came back to plate two runs in the third when Luis Suymoza had a two RBI single and the Spinners led 3-1 after three full innings. In the fourth the Scrappers came back to tie the game at three on a Spinner throwing error and a RBI ground out by Lonnie Chisenhall.
Relief pitching took over for both teams for the next three innings and we would move to the top of the eight inning still tied 3-3. In the eighth the Scrappers would threaten on a one out double by Ramon Hernandez, but could not push across the go ahead run. The Spinners worked a one out walk off of reliever Garrett Rieck, but then Rieck picked off the runner and retired the third hitter and we went to the ninth still tied at 3-3.
In the ninth the Scrappers would again threaten but be held off the scoreboard by the Spinners relief pitching. In the bottom of the ninth the spinners put a runner at third on a throwing error and then won the game when John Hee came up with the winning single. FINAL Spinners 4 Scrappers 3.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from July 18, 2008
- Renegades Drop Rubber Match, 7-1 - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes drop 7-1 decision - State College Spikes
- Spinners walk off with win Friday Night - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- 'Cutters rained out - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Lake Monsters Game Postponed - Vermont Lake Monsters
- KO at "The Joe": Part Deux - Tri-City ValleyCats
- State College Spikes Game Notes - State College Spikes
- Former Cutter Spencer Traded to Oakland - Williamsport Crosscutters
- ValleyCats Set To Take on Red Sox Affiliate Lowell - Tri-City ValleyCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.