Grizzlies Acquire Rights To Bourne From ReadingAugust 2, 2007 - ECHL (ECHL) Utah Grizzlies
Following his collegiate career at the University of Alaska at Anchrorage, Bourne joined the ECHL's Alaska Aces for the conclusion of last year's season where he had three goals and three assists in nine regular season games. During the playoffs, Bourne had three goals and two assists in eight games for the Aces who were eliminated by the Idaho Steelheads in the National Conference Finals.
The 24-year-old is the son of former Grizzlies Head Coach Bob Bourne who led Utah to an 83-61-20 record in two years behind the bench from 1999-2001. The elder Bourne was also a member of four Stanley Cup Championship teams for the Islanders as a player from 1980-1983.
During the 2006-2007 season at UAA, Bourne was voted the team's Most Valuable Player leading the team with 21 assists and 10 goals in 37 games. The 6-foot-2 195-pound player also led the team with four game-winning goals, two of which came in overtime. He left as the schools all-time leader in games played with 149.
The Grizzlies announced on July 16, 2007 the signing of All-Star Andy Sertich for the 2007-2008 season.
The Utah Grizzlies of the ECHL, enter their third season in America's "Premier AA Hockey League." On May 22, 2007, Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Jason Christie announced an affiliation with the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Former Grizzlies Ric Jackman and Scott Niedermayer recently won the Stanley Cup as members of the Anaheim Ducks. At the start of the 2006-2007 season, 23 former Grizzlies were on NHL rosters. 12 of those former players advanced to the playoffs.
In addition, during the 2006-2007 season, the team made over 120 community appearances, including two all-team hospital visits and over 30 elementary school assemblies; while donating nearly $120,000 in cash, tickets and merchandise to charity. For more information on Utah Grizzlies community programs and efforts, contact the team's public relations department at (801) 988-8017.
Season tickets, mini plans and group party packages for the upcoming season are available now by calling (801) 988-PUCK or visiting www.utahgrizzlies.com.
ECHL Stories from August 2, 2007
- Nailers to Participate in Miracle Treat Day - Wheeling Nailers
- RoadRunners Release Revised 2007-08 Schedule - Phoenix RoadRunners
- WHL Scoring Leader Derlago Agrees To Terms - Bakersfield Condors
- Royals Acquire Rights To Forward Danny Stewart From Utah - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Acquire Rights To Bourne From Reading - Utah Grizzlies
- RoadRunners Come To Terms With Stevens - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Salmon Kings bring back Ballantyne - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Bellefeuille And Checkers Agree To Terms - Charlotte Checkers
- All-Star Bennefield, Thunder Agree to Terms - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Lands All-Star Brandon Schwartz - Stockton Thunder
- Blade Says "Go Pioneers Go!" - Elmira Jackals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.