Helbling traded to Buffalo SabresFebruary 27, 2007 - American Hockey League (AHL) Hershey Bears
"Dainius and his agent were first class throughout the negotiations, but unfortunately we had to make a trade," McPhee said. "Jiri Novotny is a young center who should help our club, and the first-round pick is a valuable asset moving forward."
The first-round pick gives the Capitals two selections in the first round of this June's draft and four picks in the first two rounds. Washington has made 11 first-round selections in the past five drafts, more than any other team in the league.
Novotny, 23, has played 64 games the past two seasons for the Sabres, recording eight goals and eight assists (16 points). The 6'2", 209-pound native of Pelhrimov, Czech Republic, has six goals and seven assists (13 points) in 50 games with Buffalo this year.
Novotny was a first-round draft choice of the Sabres in 2001 (22nd overall) and spent four seasons with the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL), posting 17 goals and 37 assists (54 points) for the Amerks last season.
Zubrus, 28, spent parts of six seasons with the Capitals and posted 52 points (20 goals, 32 assists) in 60 games this season. Helbling, 25, played two games with Washington this year while spending most of the season with the AHL's Hershey Bears.
American Hockey League Stories from February 27, 2007
- Rampage fall, 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Monarchs Gift Wrap A Win On Max's Birthday - Manchester Monarchs
- Stars Win Streak at Six, Road Streak at Seven - Iowa Chops
- Admirals Lose Third Straight Game - Norfolk Admirals
- Three former 'Dogs dealt on NHL trade deadline day - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Kings Acquire Heward From Washington - Manchester Monarchs
- Iowa benefits at NHL trade deadline - Iowa Chops
- Thrashers ship Bourret to Rangers - Chicago Wolves
- Nilsson Involved in Trade for Smyth - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rangers Acquire Right Wing Alex Bourret - Connecticut Whale
- Florida assigns newly acquired defenseman to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Lehtonen Traded by Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Kings Acquire Draft Pick For Ward - Manchester Monarchs
- Kings Trade Pushkarev, Norstrom To Dallas - Manchester Monarchs
- Three Win Week for Devils - Albany Devils
- Constant Recalled from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Blackhawks Recall Martin St. Pierre - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Grab Former NHL First-Rounder - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rats to hold post-game jersey auction - Albany River Rats
- Bears acquire Scott Barney from Grand Rapids - Hershey Bears
- Helbling traded to Buffalo Sabres - Hershey Bears
- Jason Krog Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Canucks Re-assign Moran to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Canucks Assign Chouinard to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Aaron Downey assigned to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Build Bruiser a dog house - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Iowa Stars Extra broadcasts - Iowa Chops
- Iowa Stars Announce TV Show Dates and Times - Iowa Chops
- Wellar Reassigned from ECHL Alaska; Benson Signed to PTO - Peoria Rivermen
- Cumiskey called up to Colorado - Albany River Rats
- AHL announces suspensions - AHL
- Wolves Light The Lamp For Literature - Chicago Wolves
- Canadiens recall Andrei Kostitsyn - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons Recall Three From Johnstown - Springfield Falcons
- Sharks gear up for huge weekend both on and off the ice - Worcester Sharks
- Knights Begin Five-Game Home Stand - Abbotsford Heat
- Crunch Trade Center Ben Simon to Grand Rapids in Exchange for Right Wing Ryan Keller - Syracuse Crunch
- Kings Trade Sopel To Vancouver - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.