MetroStars acquire Joe Conway from Earthquakes for top draft pickDecember 5, 2005 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New York Red Bulls Press Release
"In Jon, we're getting a great goalkeeper with MLS experience, and a man who is truly excited about the opportunity to come back here and play for the MetroStars," said MetroStars President and General Manager Alexi Lalas. "He's also one of the best dressed players in the league and we could use a little help in that department."
"I am excited to add Jon to the MetroStars. He is another proven winner having been on both of the Earthquakes' championship teams," said MetroStars Head Coach Mo Johnston. "This off-season we are looking for players who have experience and a winning history - Jon fits into both of these categories, and we are very happy to have him."
Conway, 28, began his MLS career in 2000 after being selected in the third round of the MLS SuperDraft by the San Jose Earthquakes. In his Quakes career, the Aston, PA native appeared in 18 games over six seasons and posted a 1.51 goals against average. His best season came in 2004, when he started five games, finishing with a 2-2-1 record, two shutouts and a career-low 0.60 goals against average.
"I am excited about the opportunity to come to the MetroStars," said Conway. "I'm thrilled to be involved with a club as big as the MetroStars, and to have the opportunity to try and bring a championship to the New York area. Also, I am certainly excited to be playing close to where I grew up, and where I went to college. It will be great to play in front of my family and friends."
While at Rutgers, the six-foot, six-inch goalkeeper, allowed just 18 goals in 21 matches (0.80 GAA) as a senior in 1999. That year Conway was named an NSCAA All-American second team performer. He was a three-time (1997-99) All-Region first team selection and a two-time (1998-99) Big East Goalkeeper of the Year. He led Rutgers to its first-ever Big East regular-season title in 1999, and maintained a 0.88 GAA as a junior and a 0.72 GAA as a sophomore.
The MetroStars currently have the 5th picks in the first and second round of the 2006 SuperDraft remaining.
Major League Soccer Stories from December 5, 2005
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chivas USA season tickets are on sale now - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chivas USA players to participate in 'Lift Up America' campaign - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Trade Goalkeeper Jon Conway To MetroStars In Exchange For Fourth Round Draft Pick - San Jose Earthquakes
- MetroStars acquire Joe Conway from Earthquakes for top draft pick - New York Red Bulls
- Los Angeles Galaxy Weekly Update - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA to hold player development tournament - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Galaxy open title defense April 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.