Yuma Scorpions LHP Robby Scott Acquired by Boston Red Sox
Yuma, AZ - The Yuma Scorpions are proud to announce that pitcher Robby Scott has had his contract purchased by the Boston Red Sox. The 6'2" rookie lefty will join the Red Sox' minor league system after a standout month in Yuma following his graduation from Florida State in mid-June. He is the 17th Scorpion to have his contract purchased by a major league team.
After pitching for the Florida State Seminoles the last two years and ending his senior campaign in June at the Super Regionals, the lefty reliever joined the Yuma Scorpions on July 4th after being passed over in the player draft. In 7 appearances he has given up zero runs in 11 innings while striking out 19 and walking only 4 with opposing batters hitting for a paltry .171 average against him.
Scott, 21, caught the attention of the Red Sox after reports of his July 28th outing against Garry Templeton's Maui squad where he struck out the side both innings he pitched. Boston sent veteran scout Al Nipper to watch his next performance versus Mike Marshall's Chico team last night. Scott started the game and once again struck out the side which was all Boston needed to see and the team purchased his contract after his first inning.
Scott joins several other NAL players who have been acquired by MLB teams in the past month, including pitchers JJ Leaper, Robert Roth and Jim Paduch along with outfielder Chris Lubanski. The NAL is quickly becoming a reliable source for baseball talent, as Scott is the 13th player sold to a major league team in the North American League's first season.
• Discuss this story on the North American League message board...
North American League Stories from August 5, 2011
- Beau Knows Baseball - San Angelo Colts
- Comeback Falls Short For Thunder - McAllen Thunder
- Oyervidez, Roadrunners Cruise to Win - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Fielders Blanked in Thursday Double Header - Lake County Fielders
- Yuma Scorpions LHP Robby Scott Acquired by Boston Red Sox - Yuma Scorpions
- Capitals Winning Streak Snapped in Maui - Edmonton Capitals
- Yuma sweeps Outlaws in double-header - Chico Outlaws
- Keeler Effort - San Angelo Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Yuma Scorpions Stories
- Yuma Scorpions Sold to Godfather Media, Inc.
- Former Yuma Scorpions CF Gathright Called up to Majors
- Scorpions Announce Final Game of the 2011 Season August 31st
- Yuma Scorpions Announce Fan Appreciation Exhibition Game
- Yuma Scorpions LHP Robby Scott Acquired by Boston Red Sox