Yard Goats Win 4th Consecutive Game
Binghamton, NY - Yard Goats catcher Brian Serven cracked a two-out single in the seventh inning, driving in Colton Welker for the first run of the game, as Hartford defeated Binghamton 2-1 on Saturday night at NYSEG Stadium in Binghamton, New York. The hit came against Rumble Ponies veteran knuckleball starter Mickey Jannis to help the Yard Goats to their fourth consecutive win, their longest win streak since May 28-June 1. Hartford took a 2-0 lead on Bret Boswell's RBI single in the 9th before the Mets affiliate got a run in the 9th inning. Yard Goats closer Scott Griggs struck out Barrett Barnes to end the game with runners at second and third base for his 13th save. The Yard Goats will attempt a 3-game sweep and a chance to get back to .500 tomorrow afternoon at 2:05 in the finale in Binghamton.
Yard Goats starter Ashton Goudeau hurled three scoreless innings in his second game back after coming off the Injured List. Heath Holder continued the magic and fired four shutout innings with three strikeouts. Meanwhile, knuckler Mickey Jannis was impressive and yielded only two hits over the first six innings with 10 strikeouts.
Hartford took a 1-0 lead with a run in the seventh inning. Colton Welker worked a one out walk and moved to second base on Bret Boswell's single. After Jannis recorded his 12th strikeout for the second out Brian Serven had the huge hit. The Hartford catcher hit a liner that just got over the glove of shortstop Andres Gimenez and Welker scored from second base to make it 1-0.
The Yard Goats added an insurance run in the top of the ninth. Tyler Nevin walked and scored on an RBI single by Bret Boswell to make it a 2-0 game. The hit came off reliever Joshua Torres. Binghamton had some changes to score and left 9 men on base in the first eight innings. However, Mike Piaz ripped a pinch hit single in the ninth inning to score Gavin Cecchini and make it a 2-1 game, helping prevent Binghamton's fourth straight shutout loss. Scott Griggs struck out Barrett Barnes to end the game with runners at second and third base.
The Yard Goats will go for the three-game sweep tomorrow afternoon (2:05 PM) and will return to Dunkin' Donuts Park next Thursday night (7:05 PM) and will host the Philadelphia Phillies affiliate, the Reading Fightin Phils. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
August 17, 2019
Final: Hartford Yard Goats 2, Binghamton Rumble Ponies 1
WP: Heath Holder (8-4)
LP: Mickey Jannis (5-5)
SV: Scott Griggs (13)
T: 2:27 (1:36 delay)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Pantoja Homer Lifts RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Yard Goats Win 4th Consecutive Game - Hartford Yard Goats
- Jannis Fans Career-High 12, Spiedies Fall to Yard Goats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- First Place SeaWolves Fall to RubberDucks 3-2 - Erie SeaWolves
- McGrath and the 'Dogs Hold on for a 2-1 Win over 'Cats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Throw One-Hitter, But Lose to Sea Dogs 2-1 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Howard Delivers Walk-Off Single in Squirrels' Win over Senators - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Vasquez Dazzles as Curve Shut out Baysox - Altoona Curve
- Fightins Get Even with Thunder - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Bats Baffled in Reading - Trenton Thunder
- Blown Opportunities Cost Senators in 10 - Harrisburg Senators
- Lowther Strong Start Not Enough as Baysox Blanked - Bowie Baysox
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #123: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-33, 60-62) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (26-28, 63-58) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 17th at New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- "Links at the Yard" Golf Event Returns to Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Informed by Minor League Baseball That 2020 Season Is Canceled
- Team Israel to Play at Dunkin' Donuts Park this July
- Yard Goats Installing Additional Netting at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Announce FanFest at Dunkin' Donuts Park