Woodchuck Bats Silence the Mallards
MADISON, Wis. - The Madison Mallards were unable to compete with the Woodchucks offense, winding up with a 13-9 loss at the Duck Pond. The Woodchucks hit four home runs to explode on offense throughout the entire game.
Adam Frank (FIU) put the Woodchucks on the board in the top of the first with a two-run home run. Followed by a solo home run by Byron Murray (Lynn University). The Woodchucks pushed ahead 3-0 going into the bottom of the inning.
The three run lead in the top of the inning did not phase the Mallards. Logan Michaels (Virginia) slammed an RBI double to get the Mallards on the scoreboard, trailing 3-1.
The Woodchuck bats were silent in the top of the second, but the Mallards were loud. Michaels earned an RBI single to get the Mallards trailing by one. Justice Bigbie (Western Carolina) came in clutch after Michaels, hammering a three-run home run over the right field fence to take a 5-3 lead.
Responding quickly in the top of the third, TJ Reeves (Alabama) blasted a two-RBI double to tie the game at 5. An error in the following play would bring in another run for the Woodchucks, giving them the 6-5 lead.
The lead did not last long, as a solo home run by Jordan Stephens (Miami-Ohio) in the bottom of the third would tie the game for the second time.
In the fifth inning, the Woodchuck bats began to heat up, again. Alec Arnon (UC Riverside) knocked an RBI double to put the Woodchucks back on top 7-6.
The Woodchuck bats grew louder in the top of the sixth. An RBI double by Reeves, followed by a two-run home run by Murray gave the Woodchucks a whopping 10-6 lead.
Inning seven was no different, the Woodchucks brought in two more runs off a two-RBI single by Lawrence Cicileo (Adelphi University). The two-RBIs opened up a 12-7 lead for the Woodchucks going into the bottom of the inning.
Madison began to fight back in the bottom of the seventh, Nick Gile (Madison College) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score a run. A two-RBI single from Ryne Stanley (North Carolina A&T) brought the score up to 12-9, still in favor of the Woodchucks.
TJ Reeves was a machine at the plate. In the top of the eighth, Reeves hit a solo home run, the fourth of the game for the Woodchucks. The run made the score 13-9, unable to respond the Mallards took the loss.
Ben Specht (Florida) was charged with the loss after giving up seven runs in five innings. Nate Madej (FL Southwest State College) earned the win after powering through five innings.
In the top of the seventh, the Woodchucks opened up a 12-7 lead that the Mallards could not overcome.
- Logan Michaels went 3-for-4 with a double, two runs scored and two-RBI.
- Jordan Stephens hit his first home run of the season in the bottom of the third.
- Ryne Stanley (North Carolina A&T) went 2-for-5 with two-RBI.
The Mallards will close out their series against the Woodchucks at Athletic Park. First pitch is set for 3:05 p.m. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Jones Five Strikeouts Keep It Close But Bombers Fall 2-1 to Jackrabitts - Battle Creek Bombers
- Stingers Fall to St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Woodchuck Bats Silence the Mallards - Madison Mallards
- Late Rally Falls Short in Rafters Loss - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Put on Offensive Clinic against Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Dock Spiders Get Back in the Win Column - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Pit Spitters Top Growlers in 23 Hit Slugfest - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Two-Game Road Series Starts for Rafters in Lakeshore - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- James Free II Signs with Cincinnati Reds - Duluth Huskies
- Mallards Return Home After Squashing the Dock Spiders - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Drown in Defensive Errors to Split Series with Chinooks
- Mallards Looking to Swim Past Chinooks for a Sweep
- Cheese Curds Squeak Past Chinooks with Walk-Off Single
- Cheese Curds Return to Warner Park for Three-Game Home Stand
- Rafters Sink Mallards in Game Two for a Series Sweep