Wolves Announce 2019-20 Coaching and Basketball Operations Staff
Des Moines, Iowa - The Iowa Wolves, the NBA G League affiliate of the Minnesota Timberwolves, today announced the team's basketball staff for the upcoming season, including previously announced Gianluca Pascucci as General Manager and Sam Newman-Beck as Head Coach. In addition, the team has named Devin Smith as Assistant Head Coach, Chris Hines as Assistant Head Coach, Alfred Aboya as Assistant Coach/Director of Player Development, Chris Williams as Athletic Trainer, Charles Loftis as Strength and Conditioning Coach, Mario Casamajor as Basketball Operations Assistant and Matthew Jolly as Basketball Operations Assistant.
"We're excited to add Devin, Chris Hines and Chris Williams to our coaching staff in addition to welcoming Alfred, Charles, Mario and Matthew back to the staff," said Iowa Wolves General Manager Gianluca Pascucci. "With Sam's leadership as head coach and a diverse background amongst our coaching and basketball operations staff, I believe we have the right group to maximize our players' success both on and off the court."
Smith joins the Wolves after serving as a player development coach with the Phoenix Suns during the 2018-19 season. Prior to coaching Smith spent 11 seasons overseas, including six seasons with Maccabi Tel Aviv, where he was twice named MVP of the month in the Euroleague and was named to the All-Euroleague Second Team during the 2014-15 season.
Hines spent the previous three seasons with the Guangdong Southern Tigers as a director of player development beginning in 2016. Prior to that, he was with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers as director of basketball operations and player development. Hines played briefly for the Iowa Energy during the 2014-15 season and played one season collegiately at Drake University after graduating from the University of Utah in 2012.
Chris Williams joins the staff after spending five seasons as lead athletic trainer for the Texas Tech men's basketball program. Williams has over 10 years of experience in the field of athletic training including stints as Director of Athletic Training at Bradley University for two years, athletic training staff member at Florida State University for two years and as the men's basketball athletic trainer at Kent State University for one season.
Aboya begins his second season as an assistant coach and director of player development with the Wolves. Aboya played six seasons professional, splitting time playing overseas and in the NBA G League before retiring in 2015. The forward played four seasons at UCLA, appearing in the Final Four three times during his collegiate career (2005-2009).
Loftis joins the staff for his second season as strength and conditioning coach. Previously, Loftis served as head performance coach of the Oklahoma Christian University men's basketball team.
Both Mario Casamajor and Matthew Jolly will begin their second year as basketball operations assistants.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from October 30, 2019
- Vipers to Host Los Laguneros for Preseason Game - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Lakeland Magic Partners with CPS Investment Advisors and Peace River Center on Mental Health Awareness Night - Lakeland Magic
- Spurs Assign Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Memphis Hustle's '10 Days to Tip-Off' Presented by Renasant Bank Begins on Tuesday, October 29 - Memphis Hustle
- Wolves Announce 2019-20 Coaching and Basketball Operations Staff - Iowa Wolves
- National Basketball Referees Association and NBA G League Approve Three-Year Collective Bargaining Agreement - G League
- College Park Skyhawks Announce Coaching Staff for Inaugural Season - College Park Skyhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wolves Stories
- Fab Five Lead Wolves to Road Victory over Spurs
- Timberwolves Assign Jaylen Nowell to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves
- Timberwolves Recall Jaylen Nowell from G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves
- Suspended Game Between Iowa Wolves and Memphis Hustle Rescheduled for March 15
- Trio of Wolves Gives Iowa the Edge over Blue