Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 12 at Salem)
Winston-Salem wraps up its series finale against the Salem Red Sox on Thursday at Haley Toyota Field. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m..
WINSTON-SALEM DASH (13-7, 54-36) at Salem Red Sox (12-8, 44-44)
LHP John Parke (1-1, 2.65 ERA) vs. RHP Tanner Houck (4-10, 4.96 ERA)
7:05 p.m. - Haley Toyota Field (Salem, Va.)
Game #91 (Away Game #47)
OSINSKI WINS IT IN THE NINTH
With the game tied at four in the bottom of the ninth, Michael Osinski stroked a walk-off single to left to propel the Salem Red Sox to a 5-4 victory against the Dash on Wednesday night at Haley Toyota Field. Making his first High-A start, Lincoln Henzman tossed a perfect first inning before yielding the first runs of the ballgame in the second. With Jerry Downs on first base, Trenton Kemp blasted a two-run homer to left-center to put the Red Sox ahead 2-0. Trailing 3-1 in the fifth, the Dash took their first lead of the game with three runs in the inning, which included a two-run double from Luis Gonzalez. However, Salem tied the game in the seventh via an RBI single from Tyler Hill against Cameron Seitzer, setting the stage for Osinski's heroics in the ninth.
A NEW SET OF SHEETS
Dash first baseman Gavin Sheets has been in a grove in the second half of the season. Through 20 games after the All-Star Break, Sheets is batting .378 (31-for-82) with eight doubles, two homers and 15 RBIs. A former second-round pick by the White Sox out of Wake Forest University, Sheets' 31 hits since June 21 are tied for second-most in all of Minor League Baseball, trailing only Coco Montes of the Grand Junction Rockies in the rookie-level Pioneer League. Prior to joining the White Sox organization, Sheets was a three-year star at Wake, registering 21 homers and 84 RBIs in his final season in 2017.
LUIS, LUIS, LUIS, LUIS
After earning a Midseason All-Star nod in the South Atlantic League with Low-A Kannapolis in the first half, Luis Gonzalez has continued his strong work at the plate with the Dash. In 17 games played for Winston-Salem, Gonzalez has posted nine multi-hit contests, including a 2-for-5 performance on Wednesday. Overall, the former third-round pick is hitting .325 with nine doubles, a homer and 11 RBIs with the Dash. The 22-year-old Gonzalez played three years with the University of New Mexico before joining the White Sox organization last year.
AMONG THE BEST OF THE BEST
Winston-Salem has the sixth-best winning percentage in the Minors with a .600 mark. Here's a look at the top teams in Minor League Baseball:
1. Bowling Green Hot Rods (Midwest League - A): 60-29 (.674)
2. Corpus Christi Hooks (Texas League - AA): 58-30 (.659)
3. Memphis Redbirds (Pacific Coast League - AAA): 56-34 (.622)
4. Lansing Lugnuts (Midwest League - A) 55-35 (.611)
5. Stockton Ports (California League - A+): 55-35 (.604)
6. Winston-Salem Dash (Carolina League - A+): 54-36 (.600)
Thanks to their strong second-half start, Dash are atop the Carolina League in several offensive categories, including runs (460), doubles (185), triples (27), hits (819), RBIs (434) and slugging percentage (.423). Meanwhile, the Dash rank second in the circuit in home runs (73) and on-base percentage (.343).
PARKE, LOCK AND DROP IT
Left-hander John Parke will take the hill for the Dash in the series finale at Haley Toyota Field. Parke has been impressive with Winston-Salem so far this season, having posted a 2.65 ERA in three starts. A 21st-round pick out of South Carolina in 2017, Parke went 7-4 with a 2.82 ERA in Low-A Kannapolis before being promoted to Winston-Salem.
In his first Double-A start of the year, Tanner Banks struck out 10 batters in an outing against Mississippi on Wednesday...The Dash head home following Thursday's game for a four-game set against the Buies Creek Astros from Friday through Monday.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Five-Run Inning Lifts Dash in Finale at Salem - Winston-Salem Dash
- Sagdal and Basto Muscle P-Nats to 6-3 Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Blue Rocks Clip Keys in Series Finale - Frederick Keys
- Hillcats Lose Third Straight, Fall to Potomac in Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Sox Edged 6-5 by Dash Thursday - Salem Red Sox
- Early Offense Enough as Rocks Take Series over Keys - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Mudcats and Pelicans Postponed in Myrtle Beach - Carolina Mudcats
- Pitching Staff Shines Despite Loss to Astros - Down East Wood Ducks
- Thursday's Series Finale against Carolina Postponed - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- July 12 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 12 at Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 12 vs. Carolina - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Harvey Grant Added to Washington Wizards Night on Friday, July 27th - Potomac Nationals
- Carolina Drops Second Straight 6-3 in Myrtle Beach - Carolina Mudcats
- Osinski's Walk-Off Single Sends Sox Past Dash - Winston-Salem Dash
- Blue Rocks Win a Wild Game in Frederick - Wilmington Blue Rocks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Dash's Aveyard Named Women in Baseball Scholarship Recipient
- BB&T Ballpark to Host Brenner Children's Movie Night
- Dash to Host Business 40 Closure Party on October 18
- Diamond in the Rough Program Returns for 2018
- Dash Sign Extension with White Sox Through 2022