Wingnuts Struggle in Opening Loss to RailCats
GARY, Ind. (Aug. 3, 2018) - A four-run bottom of the fourth was more than enough offense for the Gary SouthShore RailCats on Friday night, as they downed the Wichita Wingnuts 7-2 at U.S. Steel Yard.
For the third straight game, the Wingnuts (43-28) faced an early deficit. This time it was two runs in the bottom of the second that did the trick, as the RailCats (41-28) scored on a sacrifice fly from Wilfredo Gimenez and a two-out RBI single from Andy DeJesus.
Gary SouthShore knocked Wichita starter Casey Harman (8-3) from the game with a four-run fourth. Andy Paz made it 3-0 with an RBI single, then DeJesus walked with the bases loaded before Alex Crosby delivered the big blow with a two-out, two-run single. It was the shortest outing of the season for Harman, taking the loss by allowing seven hits and six runs while striking out four.
The Wingnuts could not solve Gary SouthShore starter Gabe Perez (4-1), who battled his command to the result of five walks but also allowed just two hits over five innings. Wichita got their only run against him on a wild pitch in the fifth that plated Nick Rotola.
Seth Harvey tied his own season-high for the longest outing by a Wingnuts reliever in 2018, working four innings. The righty allowed four hits and just one run, striking out two without issuing a walk. Wichita got a two-out RBI single from Logan Trowbridge in the ninth to produce the game's final margin.
The Wingnuts continue their series with the RailCats on Saturday night. Right-hander Jordan Cooper (7-5, 5.31) gets the ball for Wichita, while Gary SouthShore will counter with lefty Alex Gunn (7-3, 4.02). First pitch from U.S. Steel Yard is scheduled for 6:10 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 3, 2018
- AirHogs Rally Late But Can't Close Gap vs. X's - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Seventh Inning Rally Pushes Dogs to Third Straight Win - Chicago Dogs
- Canaries Snap Skid with Road Win over SaltDogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Dogs 9th Inning Rally Falls Short on Friday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Rally to Win Wild One - Cleburne Railroaders
- Solter One-Hits T-Bones in Rain Shortened Saints Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Rain Halts T-Bones Chance for Comeback - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Struggle in Opening Loss to RailCats - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Smash Wingnuts, 7-2, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Dogs Rally Past Goldeyes in Seventh - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Bring Back Former MLB Pitcher Jorge De Leon - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Warhorse Games Headed to T-Bones Stadium - Kansas City T-Bones
- Arizona Diamondbacks Purchase Sebastian Kessay's Contract from RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Free Tickets for Military - Tonight & this Weekend - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Dogs Club Three Home Runs, Rout Wingnuts 8-3 - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Come up Short vs. Explorers in Opener - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Clean the Birdcage 9-5 in Sioux Falls - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Take Game One of Series from AirHogs - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.