Wimberly Single Gives River Cats Win in Last At-Bat
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Adam Heether's double set up Corey Wimberly to single home the winning run as the Sacramento River Cats knocked off the Portland Beavers 4-3 at Raley Field Thursday night.
Josh Donaldson drew a ninth-inning leadoff walk from Portland reliever Adam Russell (3-6) and moved to third on Heether's double to left. After an intentional walk to Eric Sogard, Wimberly drilled Russell's 1-1 pitch up the middle to give the River Cats (48-40) their first win at home against the Beavers (33-54) this season.
Anthony Contreras launched a three-run shot in the second inning, his second home run in as many games, to provide all the offense for the Beavers, who were limited to four hits.
The River Cats tied the game in the fourth on a two-run homer by Chris Carter and a solo shot by Michael Taylor.
Steve Tolleson had three hits, including two doubles, for Sacramento.
Edwar Ramirez (3-1) threw a scoreless ninth for his third win.
Portland starter Steve Garrison struck out six over six innings, allowing three runs on four hits and a walk.
Clayton Mortensen tossed eight strong innings for the River Cats but could not get his 11th win. He allowed just the three-run homer to Contreras and only four hits and two walks on the night.
The Beavers and River Cats continue their series Friday night at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Portland reliever Luis Perdomo allowed a leadoff double in the eighth inning but worked out of the jam to extend his streak to 22 1/3 consecutive innings without an earned run ... Carter is tied for third in the PCL with 19 home runs on the season ... the Beavers swept the River Cats in four games at Raley Field back in April.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 8, 2010
- Express Drop Opener to Oklahoma City 7-6 in 12 Innings - Round Rock Express
- Wimberly Single Gives River Cats Win in Last At-Bat - Portland Beavers
- 'Birds Silence Sounds in Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Fall in Iowa - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Blanked by Redbirds in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Top Zephyrs, 4-1 - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Tonight's Game Postponed Due to Airline Travel Problems - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Aces-Sky Sox Series Opener Postponed - Reno Aces
- Gordon to Take Part in Home Run Derby - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Brewers To Host Tryout At Greer Stadium On July 22 - Nashville Sounds
- Sounds Swept by RedHawks in Doubleheader - Nashville Sounds
- Sounds Swept By RedHawks In Doubleheader - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss