Wild Things Fail to Score, Cox Collects 3 Hits in Loss
WASHINGTON, Pa. - Friday's series opener at Wild Things Park went to the Miners behind a complete-game shutout from Ryan McAuliffe. It was the first complete game against the Wild Things this year in which the pitcher for the opposition tossed a shutout and went nine.
Southern Illinois scored four runs in the third inning highlighted by a two-run double by Joe Duncan that made it 3-0 after a sac fly by Taylor Sparks opened the scoring. Josh Lapiana took the loss for Washington, allowing the four runs over his three innings with an inflated pitch count.
McAuliffe fanned just two but the Wild Things only had five hits, three of which came from shortstop Ryan Cox. Carter Johnson tossed two scoreless, Matt Marsili worked 1.1 scoreless and Zach Reid went the final 2.2, and allowed one run.
The Wild Things turn to tomorrow's middle game to try and even the series against the Miners. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Grizzlies Top Rascals for Second Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Drop Opener to Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- McAuliffe Tosses Shutout as Miners Blank Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Joliet Claims Series Opener from ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wild Things Fail to Score, Cox Collects 3 Hits in Loss - Washington Wild Things
- Crushers capitalize on two errors in 2-1 win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Career Night from Kines Not Enough in Nail-Biting Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters Battle Back to Sweep Miners - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Fall in Extra Inning Duel - Florence Freedom
- Miners Swept by Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.