Grizzlies Top Rascals for Second Straight Win
SAUGET, Ill. - Starting pitcher Ian Kahaloa opened the game Friday night with five perfect innings, Zak Taylor homered, and the Gateway Grizzlies held on late for a 5-2 win over the River City Rascals at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Kahaloa (3-6) matched his career high with 11 strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings and allowed only two runs on two hits for the victory.
Gateway (35-53) struck first in the third inning on a Connor Owings sacrifice fly that scored Gunner Buhner, who had singled to lead off the frame and moved to third on a Taylor double.
With Kahaloa cruising, the Grizzlies tacked on three more runs in the fourth: Shawon Dunston Jr. singled, stole second, and scored on an RBI double by Andrew Daniel, who scored on a Wesley Jones sac fly. Taylor's solo home run - his second as a professional - just cleared the right-field fence and pushed the lead to 4-0.
After the Rascals (52-37) bounced back with a pair of runs in the sixth, the Grizzlies added an eighth-inning insurance tally on an Owings RBI single.
Grant Black struck out all three batters he faced in the eighth and Geoff Bramblett - despite having to work around a bases-loaded, two-out situation after a walk, catcher's interference, and infield single - finished his 13th save in as many chances. The 24-year-old Alabama native has thrown 30 straight innings since he last allowed an earned run June 16.
Gateway and River City will continue their three-game set with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Grizzlies Top Rascals for Second Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Drop Opener to Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- McAuliffe Tosses Shutout as Miners Blank Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Joliet Claims Series Opener from ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wild Things Fail to Score, Cox Collects 3 Hits in Loss - Washington Wild Things
- Crushers capitalize on two errors in 2-1 win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Career Night from Kines Not Enough in Nail-Biting Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters Battle Back to Sweep Miners - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Fall in Extra Inning Duel - Florence Y'alls
- Miners Swept by Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.