Joliet Claims Series Opener from ThunderBolts
CRESTWOOD, IL - Joliet scored three runs over the first two innings and held on to beat the ThunderBolts 4-1 to open the Bolts' season-ending eight game home stand at Ozinga Field Friday night.
Clayton Harp was the star of the game for the Slammers (39-49) as he opened play with a triple off the right centerfield wall. He scored on a wild pitch.
The ThunderBolts (37-52) were quick to respond in the bottom of the first inning. Brynn Martinez singled, moved up on a wild pitch and scored on a Tanner Gardner double.
Hayden Shenefield retired the first two batters in the second inning but Oliver Nunez kept the inning alive with a 12-pitch plate appearance that ended in a walk. Chaz Meadows followed with a walk and Harp's RBI single made it 2-1. The Slammers got another run on a double steal.
Harp struck again with a solo homer in the fifth inning to give the Slammers a 4-1 lead.
Shenefield settled in and lasted eight innings, allowing only two hits after the second, but the Windy City offense struggled to capitalize on their scoring chances.
They had at least one base runner in every inning, but ended up stranding ten. Their last chance came in the ninth inning when Tyler Straub and Taisei Fukuhara singled and Michael Mateja was hit by a pitch to load the bases. They were unable to break through as Ryan Koziol escaped the jam for his league-leading 23rd save.
Kit Fowler (1-1) tossed seven innings for the win while Shenefield (1-3) set career highs with nine strikeouts and eight innings pitched but took the loss.
Game two of the series is set for 6:05 on Saturday. The game will be preceded by a 50th anniversary of Woodstock concert by The Mustangs and followed by a fireworks show. Kenny Mathews (3-9, 4.50) will start for the Bolts against Joliet's Daren Osby (3-5, 3.07). Fans not at Ozinga Field can hear the action at wcthunderbolts.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Grizzlies Top Rascals for Second Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Drop Opener to Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- McAuliffe Tosses Shutout as Miners Blank Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- Joliet Claims Series Opener from ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wild Things Fail to Score, Cox Collects 3 Hits in Loss - Washington Wild Things
- Crushers capitalize on two errors in 2-1 win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Career Night from Kines Not Enough in Nail-Biting Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters Battle Back to Sweep Miners - Evansville Otters
- Freedom Fall in Extra Inning Duel - Florence Y'alls
- Miners Swept by Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City ThunderBolts Stories
- Frontier League Named Partner of Major League Baseball
- Windy City ThunderBolts Will Not Have Baseball in 2020 as Frontier League Suspends Entire Championship Season
- ThunderBolts Close Season with Blowout Win
- Florence Comes from Behind to Beat ThunderBolts
- Big Ninth Inning Carries ThunderBolts over Schaumburg