Whitecaps FC Acquire Forward Brian White from New York Red Bulls
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC bolstered their attacking options on Wednesday with the acquisition of forward Brian White from New York Red Bulls in exchange for $400,000 in General Allocation Money - pending the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and visa. The Red Bulls could also receive up to an additional $100,000 in conditional GAM.
"Brian is a player with good finishing qualities, as he has proven over the past two MLS seasons," said Axel Schuster, Whitecaps FC sporting director and chief executive officer. "He gives us another attacking option as we continue our roster building process and prepare for absences due to international competitions this year."
Whitecaps FC forward Brian White
16 goals and four assists in 50 MLS appearances, including playoffs
New York Red Bulls 2020 Offensive Player of the Year
Selected 16th overall in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft by New York Red Bulls from Duke University
Named 2017 United Soccer League Premier Development League MVP with New York Red Bulls U-23
White, 25, is coming off of a 2020 season in which he was named Red Bulls Offensive Player of the Year. The native of Flemington, New Jersey led the team with six goals and recorded one assist in 903 minutes played, including a goal in their playoff match. This year, White has one assist and three key passes in five appearances with New York.
Over his first four seasons in MLS, White has scored 16 goals and recorded four assists over 32 starts and 50 appearances, including three matches in the MLS Cup Playoffs. In 2019 he scored a career high nine goals in 19 regular season matches and added two assists.
"With all of the international competitions this year, we wanted to have options in different positions," added Marc Dos Santos, Whitecaps FC head coach. "Brian will be an important option for the team. He's comfortable playing alone or with another forward. It is a good opportunity for us and for him, and we look forward to having him at the club."
White was selected by the Red Bulls in the first round of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft. He initially signed a USL contract and recorded eight goals and five assists in 1,539 minutes played, earning an MLS contract and promotion to the first team in August of that year.
Following the FIFA international break from May 31 to June 14, Whitecaps FC resume MLS regular season play as the road side against Real Salt Lake on Friday, June 18. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. PT at Rio Tinto Stadium - watch live on TSN and listen on AM 730.
TRANSACTION: On June 2, 2021, Vancouver Whitecaps FC acquire forward Brian White from New York Red Bulls in exchange for $400,000 in General Allocation Money - pending the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and visa. The Red Bulls could also receive up to an additional $100,000 in conditional GAM.
Weight: 185 pounds
Date of Birth: February 3, 1996 in Flemington, New Jersey
Hometown: Flemington, New Jersey
Citizenship: United States
Last Professional Club: New York Red Bulls (MLS 2018 - 2021)
Acquired: Vancouver Whitecaps FC acquired via trade with New York Red Bulls on June 2, 2021
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 2, 2021
- Sounders FC Midfielder Jordy Delem Placed on Season Ending Injury List - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake's Ashtone Morgan Named to Canada's World Cup Qualifying Roster - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC to Host Groundbreaking Ceremony on June 18 - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake's Noah Powder Named to Trinidad & Tobago Roster for World Cup Qualifiers - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew Announces Final Match at Historic Crew Stadium on June 19 to be at Full Capacity - Columbus Crew SC
- LAFC to Return to Full Capacity at Banc of California Stadium on June 19 - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Announces Stadium Capacity Plans for Remainder of 2021 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Loan Stars: May 2021 - Charlotte FC
- Four Loons Called to National Team Duty - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Announce Broadcast and Kickoff Time Changes for Road Match vs. Real Salt Lake - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake's Match against San Jose on October 30 Changed to 1:30 p.m. MT Kickoff - Real Salt Lake
- MNUFC Loan Defender Callum Montgomery to San Diego Loyal - Minnesota United FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Forward Brian White from New York Red Bulls - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New York Red Bulls Trade Forward Brian White to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Toni Datković - Real Salt Lake
- MNUFC Loan Forward Foster Langsdorf to Tampa Bay Rowdies - Minnesota United FC
- The Pitch: Players from 26 MLS Teams Answer the Call for International Duty - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Take Me Home: Vancouver Whitecaps FC Are Coming Back to Canada
- 'Caps, Houston Finish off Scoreless Draw
- Caicedo and Dájome score in the second half as 'Caps storm back
- Whitecaps FC host LA Galaxy on Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Whitecaps FC Sign Centre Back Derek Cornelius to a Contract Extension and Loan to Panetolikos FC