Wheeling Opens Two Game Lead In Series With 3-1 Win
CINCINNATI, Ohio - The Wheeling Nailers defeated the Cincinnati Cyclones, 3-1, Friday night at U.S. Bank Arena. Wheeling grabs a two games to none edge in the best of seven series in the North Division semifinals. Curtis Darling backstopped the Nailers with 34 saves.
Wheeling opened the scoring for the second straight game, utilizing a shot from Doug Krantz at the blueline in the middle of the ice to collect his first postseason goal. Krantz fired his shot just inside the right post for the power play score, as Chris Snavely and Chris Margott handed out the assists. Cincinnati led the shots battle, 11-10, in the stanza. Cincinnati had an opportunity to score with a penalty shot at 4:08 of the frame, but Barret Ehgoetz' shot was gloved by Nailers netminder Curtis Darling.
Wheeling's Jordan Morrison scored the only goal of the frame at 2:24 on the power play. Morrison snapped off a shot from the right goal line to build the 2-0 edge for the Nailers. Bryan Ewing and Billy Ryan had the assists. The shots on goal in the period were even at ten apiece.
The Nailers salted the game away with a Bryan Ewing goal 13:50 into the third period to build the lead to 3-0. Morrison and Ryan had the helpers. The Cyclones broke up the shutout bid at 15:31 with a four-on-three power play score from Matt Syroczynski, his first of the playoffs, from Jimmy Kilpatrick and Mark Van Guilder had the assists. Cincinnati outshot Wheeling, 14-6, in the frame and 35-26 for the game.
Curtis Darling rook the win, stopping 34 shots, while Ryan Nie absorbed the loss, turning aside 23 shots.
The third game of the best-of-seven series will be tomorrow night (April 11). The venue shifts to WesBanco Arena as the Cyclones and Nailers will battle for the third time in three days. That will be a 7:30pm contest and will be carried locally on MAX-FM (97.7 and 99.5).
Tickets for the 2009-10 Cincinnati Cyclones season are now on sale. The Cyclones Sales Department can be reached at 513-421-PUCK, extension 3. For the latest news, notes and information on the team, visit: www.cycloneshockey.com . Ask about the Family Four Pack (four tickets, four hot dogs, four Pepsis, four Cyclones winter hats, four public skate passes at SportsPlus and a SportsPlus game card) for just $69!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 10, 2009
- Reign Tops Thunder, 4-3 - Ontario Reign
- Devils Lose to Jackals in ECHL Record Four-Overtime Game, 5-4 - Trenton Devils
- Nailers Take 2 Games to 0 Lead in Playoffs! - Wheeling Nailers
- Blades draw first blood, battle from behind for 5-3 win - Florida Everblades
- Gladiators fall to Everblades 5-3; Trail Series 1-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wheeling Opens Two Game Lead In Series With 3-1 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Dallas Stars Assign Goaltender Matt Climie Back To Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Wranglers Kelly Cup Daily - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview (game 1): Stockton Thunder At Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Taylor Returns From AHL, Wranglers Host Game One Tonight - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Nailers To Host Pre-Game Party Saturday Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- D-Man Paiement reassigned to Blades - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.