Dallas Stars Assign Goaltender Matt Climie Back To Steelheads
BOISE, Idaho - The National Hockey League's Dallas Stars announced today that the club has assigned goaltender Matt Climie to the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL. Climie is on an NHL contract with Dallas and Dallas is Idaho's NHL affiliate. Idaho will face the Victoria Salmon Kings in the first round of the ECHL Playoffs, which begin Saturday night at Qwest Arena.
Climie, 26, made his NHL debut Apr. 4 vs. St. Louis, stopping 22 of 26 shots for his first NHL win. He became just the fifth Dallas Stars goaltender to win in his NHL debut with the team (also Mike Torchia, Roman Turek, former Steelhead Dan Ellis and Mike Smith).
In three consecutive starts with Dallas, Climie went 2-1-0 with a 2.92 goals-against average and an .894 save percentage, playing 185 minutes and stopping 76 of 85 shots faced.
Climie has an ECHL record of 27-12-1 this season with a 2.30 goals-against average, a .915 save percentage and four shutouts. The native of Leduc, Alta., was named the RBK ECHL Goaltender of the Week for March 23-29, and received the CCM ECHL Rookie of the Month for December, after going 5-1-0 with a 2.31 GAA and a .920 save percentage for the month.
The 6-3, 205-pound goaltender was 2-0-0 at the 2008 NHL Prospects Tournament in Traverse City, Mich., helping the Stars win the championship. He finished his four-year career at Bemidji State ranked first in school history in shutouts (12) and second in save percentage (.908). He earned First-Team All-CHA honors as a junior, and was selected to the Second Team All-CHA squad as a senior. Climie was signed by Dallas as a free agent on Mar. 20, 2008.
The Steelheads will host Games 1 and 2 of the best-of-seven series on Saturday, Apr. 11 at 7:10 pm MT and Sunday, Apr. 12 at 5:10 pm MT at Qwest Arena. Games 3, 4 and 5 (if nec.) will be played in Victoria with 8:05 MT puck drops on Wednesday, Apr. 15, Friday, Apr. 17 and Saturday, Apr. 18. If necessary, Games 6 and 7 will be back on Qwest Arena ice on Tuesday, Apr. 21 and Wednesday, Apr. 22, both at 7:10 pm.
Ticket prices range from $7 junior/senior | $10 adult to $32.50 for adult premiere seating, plus convenience fees. Special $10 tickets, plus convenience fees, are available for the Easter Sunday game. Tickets can be purchased by calling 331-TIXS, by visiting www.idahosteelheads.com (using the print-at-home feature), or by stopping by the Qwest Arena box office. For groups or to guarantee the best seats with a playoff package, please call 383-0080.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 10, 2009
- Reign Tops Thunder, 4-3 - Ontario Reign
- Devils Lose to Jackals in ECHL Record Four-Overtime Game, 5-4 - Trenton Devils
- Nailers Take 2 Games to 0 Lead in Playoffs! - Wheeling Nailers
- Blades draw first blood, battle from behind for 5-3 win - Florida Everblades
- Gladiators fall to Everblades 5-3; Trail Series 1-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wheeling Opens Two Game Lead In Series With 3-1 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Dallas Stars Assign Goaltender Matt Climie Back To Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Wranglers Kelly Cup Daily - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Game Preview (game 1): Stockton Thunder At Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Taylor Returns From AHL, Wranglers Host Game One Tonight - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Nailers To Host Pre-Game Party Saturday Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- D-Man Paiement reassigned to Blades - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Sell out Home Opener, Start with 2-1 OT Win over Thunder
- Defenseman Ondrej Vala Recalled to Texas Stars
- Steelheads Host Home Opening Weekend this Friday & Saturday
- Tomas Sholl Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week
- Steelheads to Host Ã¢ÂÂFan Fest' Ahead of Friday's Home Opener