Week two of "Soccer Aid III" for juvenile diabetes is underway
COLUMBUS, Ohio (Wednesday, June 29) - Week two of "Soccer Aid III" is underway, with 11 new items being auctioned off this week. Columbus Crew Head Coach Greg Andrulis organized "Soccer Aid III," a unique adrenaline-loaded fundraiser for Juvenile Diabetes Research (JDRF).
The exciting program, which was launched in the United States by Andrulis in 2003, capitalizes on soccer fans' passion for the sport to help raise money for Juvenile Diabetes, a disease that is very important to Greg and his family. Greg's 10-year-old son, Austin, has diabetes.
The concept is simple. Soccer fans bid on-line at TheCrew.com and MatchNight.com for a chance to win autographed jerseys of Crew and other premier soccer players from around the U.S. and world, as well as a chance to experience the thrill of match day at Columbus Crew Stadium.
The winning bidder will not only receive the autographed jersey, but will also be entitled to two Center Circle Club seats to The Crew's game vs. the Kansas City Wizards on July 23, a Soccer Aid T-shirt, a locker room tour, on-field recognition and the opportunity to play a 30-minute scrimmage prior to the July 23 game.
Last year's "Soccer Aid II" raised over $8,000 for the Mid-Ohio Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, bringing the two-year total to over $21,000.
"Our family is committed to fund-raising for Juvenile Diabetes Research," said Andrulis. "The first two years of Soccer Aid have been incredible and we are looking forward to a great Soccer Aid III. Insulin is not a cure. This is about raising much needed research dollars to help find a cure for Juvenile Diabetes. Soccer Aid offers fans a chance to live the dream of being their favorite player. Soccer is about passion, an unrivaled passion that the soccer fan has for the beautiful game. But Soccer Aid is not just about passion for soccer, it's also about compassion."
At least eight jerseys will be available for bidding during each of the four week-long bidding periods. The first bidding period was from June 22-29, with week two running from June 29-July 6. Week three runs from July 6-13 and week four from July 13-20.
The 11 items up for bidding this week are a John Harkes Columbus Crew jersey ($400 minimum), a Carlos Ruiz Los Angeles Galaxy jersey ($400), a Brad Friedel U.S. National Team t-shirt ($100), and Crew players Robin Fraser ($300), Chris Henderson ($300), Danny Szetela ($300), Stephen Herdsman ($200), Mark Schulte ($200), David Testo ($200), Knox Cameron ($100) and Marcus Storey ($100). Just one of the marquee players that will be available at some point is a Tim Howard Manchester United jersey.
Soccer Aid is fashioned after the highly successful "Football Aid" program from the United Kingdom, which grew out of a father's desire to create an exciting and rewarding way to raise funds for diabetes research. Craig Paterson founded "Football Aid" in May 2001 in the UK. Football Aid is now global with events throughout Europe.
Shane Murphy and Lee Smith of MatchNight.com will lend support and help run the program. Details on how to bid for jerseys for "Soccer Aid" are available at TheCrew.Com and MatchNight.com. For more information concerning "Soccer Aid," please contact Dave Stephany at 614-447-4190.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 29, 2005
- Rapids drop 1-0 decision to Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids
- Revs quartet at US camp - New England Revolution
- Wizards come back to tie Crew 1-1 - Sporting Kansas City
- Chiva USA opens soccer academy in Carson - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Seven players from Chivas' legendary 'Campeonisimo' to make appearance against Chicago Fire - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Week two of "Soccer Aid III" for juvenile diabetes is underway - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake acquires midfielder Adolfo Gregorio - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Youth International Slot from RSL - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas signs John Pulido to developmental contract - FC Dallas
- MetroStars acquire Suarez - New York Red Bulls
- Fire to participate in USSF Passback Program to aid youth soccer teams - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes forward Ching to undergo surgery - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake acquires defender Paul Broome - Real Salt Lake
- Galaxy acquire draft pick from Real Salt Lake - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts Atlanta United at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow Night
- Columbus Crew SC to Host 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 Match on Tuesday, June 18
- 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow Night
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Named to the United States Men's National Team 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Roster
- Columbus Crew SC's Jonathan Mensah Receives International Call-Up for Ghana National Team