Wizards come back to tie Crew 1-1
Kansas City Wizards (5-3-7, 22 points) vs. Columbus Crew (4-8-2, 14 points) Wednesday, June 29, 2005, 7:00 p.m. (CT) Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO Weather - Sunny, 94o
Scoring Summary: CLB- Mario Rodriguez-1 (Unassisted) 69' KC- Jose Luis Burciaga Jr.-2 (Diego Gutierrez-2) 76'
KANSAS CITY, MO (Wednesday, June 29, 2005) - The Kansas City Wizards battled back to tie the Columbus Crew 1-1 at Arrowhead Stadium Saturday night. After a mishap in front of the Wizards goal allowed the Crew to take the lead late in the game, the Wizards battled back on a long strike from Jose Burciaga in the 76th minute. With the tie, Kansas City remains in 3rd place in the Eastern Conference heading into their Independence Day clash with Colorado Rapids on the road.
The Wizards will travel to Denver, Colorado for Independence Day and will take on the Colorado Rapids on Monday, July 4th at INVESCO Field at Mile High. The match will kickoff at 8:30 p.m. CT and will be broadcast live on HDNet. HDNet will also carry the postgame fireworks show live from Denver following the game.
Kansas City Wizards Lineup (4-4-2): Bo Oshoniyi-GK; Alex Zotinca (Jack Jewsbury-62'), Shavar Thomas, Nick Garcia, Jose Luis Burciaga Jr.; Chris Klein, Kerry Zavagnin, Diego Gutierrez, Sasha Victorine; Scott Sealy (Preki-46'), Davy Arnaud
Columbus Crew Lineup (4-4-2): Bill Gaudette-GK; Stephen Herdsman (Ryan Kelly-38'), Robin Fraser, Chad Marshall, Mark Schulte; Mario Rodriguez, Simon Elliott, Kyle Martino (Stephen Armstrong-78'), Chris Henderson; Edson Buddle (Chris Wingert-59'), John Wolyniec
Officials: Referee- Alex Prus Assistant Referees- Kermit Quisenberry, Richard Eddy Fourth Official- Brent Sorg
Attendance - 5,519
KCWizards.com Man of the Match - Davy Arnaud
KC CLB Shots 14 12 Shots on Goal 4 3 Saves 2 3 Fouls 13 12 Corner Kicks 7 3 Offside 2 1
Cautions: KC- Kerry Zavagnin (Pushing/Holding) 40' CLB- Mark Schulte (Tackle From Behind) 54'
Post Game Quotes Kansas City Wizards Head Coach Bob Gansler On the game "The sad situation here is it is always a tale of two halves and we did it again tonight. In the first half, for a home team we didn't do enough. It has to be our ball and we have to be in charge. That has been the big stumbling block this year. We will come back from adversity and play well in the second half, but we have to control the game. We did well in the second half tonight, but games are longer than 45 minutes."
On Jose Burciaga responding to his error on the first goal "It was a gift. Jose made up for it by getting us one back, but the idea is to make just good plays and not give them. Jose is a young player that is mature beyond his years. He knows he made a bad play that could have been a game-deciding play on the negative side. But he knows there are other plays there for him and he doesn't go into a shell. That was good to see."
Kansas City Wizards Goalkeeper Bo Oshoniyi On the game "In the end we didn't bring the effort tonight. It was one of those things, it is a warm day, we played on Saturday night and maybe we were a little tired for whatever reason. We just let them stay in the game, and when you let a team like that stay in the game they are going to get a lucky bounce or whatever you want to call it type of goal and the next thing you know you get a draw instead of a win."
On the team's 7th tie of the season "It gets old after awhile, especially games at home. We usually win at home and games like this against a team that is down, we should be able to hop all over them and we weren't able to do that tonight."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 29, 2005
- Rapids drop 1-0 decision to Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids
- Revs quartet at US camp - New England Revolution
- Wizards come back to tie Crew 1-1 - Sporting Kansas City
- Chiva USA opens soccer academy in Carson - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Seven players from Chivas' legendary 'Campeonisimo' to make appearance against Chicago Fire - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Week two of "Soccer Aid III" for juvenile diabetes is underway - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake acquires midfielder Adolfo Gregorio - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Youth International Slot from RSL - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas signs John Pulido to developmental contract - FC Dallas
- MetroStars acquire Suarez - New York Red Bulls
- Fire to participate in USSF Passback Program to aid youth soccer teams - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes forward Ching to undergo surgery - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake acquires defender Paul Broome - Real Salt Lake
- Galaxy acquire draft pick from Real Salt Lake - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting KC Midfielder Gianluca Busio Named to U.S. Roster for U-17 World Cup
- Sporting Closes out 2019 MLS Season with Defeat at FC Dallas
- Preview: Sporting to Visit FC Dallas in Sunday's Season Finale
- Sporting Earns 2-2 Draw vs. Portland in Home Finale
- Sporting Announces 2019 Club Awards at Pitch Black