Earthquakes forward Ching to undergo surgery
SAN JOSE, CA (Wednesday, June 29, 2005) - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that forward Brian Ching will undergo surgery to repair a torn right hamstring muscle on Thursday, June 30. Ching injured his hamstring in the Quakes reserve league match last Sunday against the Los Angeles Galaxy reserves.
Ching had a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Tuesday to determine the extent of the injury. After reviewing the results of the MRI, surgery was scheduled for Thursday by the Earthquakes medical staff.
Ching originally strained his right hamstring on May 14 in the Quakes match against FC Dallas. He missed five matches with the injury and returned to play as a substitute on June 18 against Real Salt Lake. He also appeared as a second half sub against the Galaxy on June 25 in the Quakes 3-0 win.
Ching, 26, is tied for second on the Quakes with four goals and has also dished out two assists. He was named the Maggiano's Player of the Month for April. Overall, this season, the Haleiwa, HI native has appeared in nine games for San Jose, starting seven. In his Quakes career, he has played 49 games, scoring 22 goals (third best in club history) and notching eight assists. He is also tied for first in club history in goals per game (0.45) with fellow teammate Ronald Cerritos.
Midfielder James Twellman, who has appeared in seven reserve league games in 2005, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during the Earthquakes practice on Tuesday, June 28. He is expected to miss the remainder of the 2005 season. He scored one goal in the MLS reserve league.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 29, 2005
- Rapids drop 1-0 decision to Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids
- Revs quartet at US camp - New England Revolution
- Wizards come back to tie Crew 1-1 - Sporting Kansas City
- Chiva USA opens soccer academy in Carson - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Seven players from Chivas' legendary 'Campeonisimo' to make appearance against Chicago Fire - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Week two of "Soccer Aid III" for juvenile diabetes is underway - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake acquires midfielder Adolfo Gregorio - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Youth International Slot from RSL - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas signs John Pulido to developmental contract - FC Dallas
- MetroStars acquire Suarez - New York Red Bulls
- Fire to participate in USSF Passback Program to aid youth soccer teams - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes forward Ching to undergo surgery - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake acquires defender Paul Broome - Real Salt Lake
- Galaxy acquire draft pick from Real Salt Lake - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 11, 2019
- Earthquakes Sign 14-Year-Old Goalkeeper Emmanuel Ochoa as Homegrown Player
- Earthquakes to Offer Military Discount on 2020 Season Tickets
- Earthquakes Sign Defender Casey Walls as Homegrown Player
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 4, 2019