Galaxy acquire draft pick from Real Salt Lake
CARSON, CA (Wednesday, June 29, 2005) - The Los Angeles Galaxy have acquired a 2007 MLS SuperDraft second round pick from Real Salt Lake, the club announced today. To complete the trade, the club sent seven-year veteran defender Paul Broome to the expansion side. The pick was originally acquired from Chivas USA in exchange for the rights to Douglas Sequeira.
"Though we are sad to see a player of Paul's caliber leave the club, we need the flexibility in both salary cap room and a roster spot for a future move," said Galaxy President and General Manager Doug Hamilton. "We wish him all the best in Salt Lake."
Broome, a natural left-sided player who added consistency to the Galaxy defense since his acquisition in July 2003, played the first four-plus years of his career with the Dallas Burn before being traded to Los Angeles. Overall, the defender has appeared in 116 regular season matches - 87 of them starts - and contributed two goals and 17 assists.
Broome played in three matches with the Galaxy in 2005, two of them as a substitute. He also appeared in two MLS reserve division games this season.
Two of the premier teams in Major League Soccer will meet on the grandest stage for the sport in the United States when the Los Angeles Galaxy hosts the New England Revolution on Monday, July 4 at 7 pm at The Home Depot Center on the campus of California State University Dominguez Hills. The match has all the makings of an epic battle on our nation's birthday - the first-placed Revs representing the entire Eastern Conference and the second-placed Galaxy carrying the weight of the Western Conference on their shoulders for this clash between the best MLS has to offer.
In honor of our nation's independence day, fans will be treated to a majestic post-game fireworks spectacular (presented by The Daily Breeze and KBIG 104), with Rialto-based Pyro Spectaculars responsible for the production. It's an evening anyone in attendance will not soon forget. For more information or to purchase tickets, please call the Galaxy at 1-877-3GALAXY.
TRANSACTION: Los Angeles Galaxy (Major League Soccer) acquire a second round pick in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft in exchange for the defender Paul Broome.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 29, 2005
- Rapids drop 1-0 decision to Earthquakes - Colorado Rapids
- Revs quartet at US camp - New England Revolution
- Wizards come back to tie Crew 1-1 - Sporting Kansas City
- Chiva USA opens soccer academy in Carson - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Seven players from Chivas' legendary 'Campeonisimo' to make appearance against Chicago Fire - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Week two of "Soccer Aid III" for juvenile diabetes is underway - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake acquires midfielder Adolfo Gregorio - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Youth International Slot from RSL - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas signs John Pulido to developmental contract - FC Dallas
- MetroStars acquire Suarez - New York Red Bulls
- Fire to participate in USSF Passback Program to aid youth soccer teams - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes forward Ching to undergo surgery - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake acquires defender Paul Broome - Real Salt Lake
- Galaxy acquire draft pick from Real Salt Lake - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Weekly
- Uriel Antuna Added to Mexico's 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup Roster
- LA Galaxy to Face Portland Timbers in 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Orange County FC 0 - Wednesday, June 12, 2019
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Parties for Every U.S. Women's National Team World Cup Match