Week Preview: Games 40, 41, 42 vs. Rockford IceHogs & Grand Rapids
Wednesday, January 15th- 9:00 AM PST - BMO Harris Bank Center, Rockford, IL
Friday, January 17th - 4:00 PM PST - Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI
Saturday, January 18th - 4:00 PM PST - Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, MI
Radio: CIVL RADIO 101.7FM
*Pre-Game Show begins 15 minutes prior puck-drop
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat broke their season-high four game losing streak with an overtime win against the San Antonio Rampage last Saturday. Ben Street had quite the night, scoring his second overtime game winner of the season and shortly after the game was recalled to the Calgary Flames. Goaltender Joni Ortio moved back to the top of the standings for most wins amongst goaltenders in the AHL. While Ortio is tied at 16 wins with four other net-minders, he has only four losses this season.
The Heat have fallen to second place in the West Division at 24-14-1-1 with 50 points, trailing the Texas Stars by just one point.
HEAT @ ICEHOGS (AHL AFFILIATE OF THE CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS)
The Heat defeated the IceHogs in the one meeting between the teams this season back on November 20th. This will be the last game the Heat play at the BMO Harris Bank Center this year and will host the IceHogs in April at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Center (AESC). The IceHogs are members of the Midwest division and through 39 games, the Heat have tremendous success against teams in the Midwest with an overall record of 6-1-0-1.
The IceHogs currently sit eighth in the Western Conference with an 18-17-3-2 record and have won their last two games. Defenseman Klas Dhalbeck is coming off a four point night (0-4-4), last Saturday, which placed him in the top five in team scoring, but Adam Clendening is the blue liner who has been making the most noise for the 'Hogs. Clendening is one of two defenceman in the AHL to lead his team in scoring, as he has recorded 31 points (5-26-31) in 40 games and has eight points in his last six games (1-7-8).
Wednesday's game between the Heat and IceHogs is the annual Rockford Public School District game; hence the rare 9:00am PST start time. The Heat will host their annual school day game on Tuesday March 4th at 10:30 am.
HEAT @ GRIFFINS (AHL AFFILIATE OF THE DETROIT RED WINGS)
Friday will mark the first meeting of the season between the Heat and the Griffins. Grand Rapids currently holds the number one position in the Western Conference, leading the Heat by three points. In the past five seasons, the teams have split their games 4-4 when playing on the Griffins home ice, with the Heat holding an all time the edge at 9-6-1-0 between the teams.
The Griffins currently lead the Midwest Division and the Western Conference with a 25-10-1-2 record and 53 points. They are a tough bunch to score against, as they have allowed the fewest goals against in the Conference at 89. The Griffins are also potent offensively with 131 goals for, good for second in the AHL behind Texas.
Up front, Cory Emmerton is riding a four game point streak with five points (2-3-5) and is third in team scoring with 10 goals and 18 assists. In goal, Tom McCollum has been stellar for the Griffins recording 15 wins and a 0.923 save percentage.
2013-14 Heat head to head stats vs. Rockford IceHogs:
11/20/13- ABB 4 RKF 2 @ BMO Harris Bank Center
Individual leaders in season series:
ABB: Billins: 3 points in 1 GP (0-3-3), Ferland: 2 points in 1 GP (1-1-2), Hanowski: 2 points in 1 GP (1-1-2), MacDonald: 1 GP (1-0-0-0, 28/30 saves)
RKF: LeBlanc: 2 points in 1 GP (1-1-2), Svedberg: 1 point in 1 GP (1-0-0), T. Broadhurst: 1 point in 1 GP (0-1-1), Simpson: 1 GP (0-1-0-0, 24/27 saves)
2013-14 Heat head to head stats vs. Grand Rapids Griffins:
01/17/14 will be first meeting this season
NEWS & NOTES
After this current six-game road trip, the Heat will return home and host the Utica Comets on January 24th and 25th at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre.
Troy G. Ward attained his 100th career win as the Head Coach of the Heat in their 3-2 overtime win over the Rampage on Saturday. Ward is in his third season as head Coach and has a record of 100-70-8-12.
The Calgary Flames announced on January 11th, that they have recalled Ben Street from the Abbotsford Heat. Street leads the Heat in scoring with 17 goals and 16 assists for 33 points in 31 games. The 2014 AHL All-Star made the Flames out of training camp and played in eight games picking up one assist. He suited up on Monday night for the Flames in their 2-0 win over the Carolina Hurricanes.
On Monday, the Heat announced that forward Evan Trupp has been loaned to the Heat from the Alaska Aces. Trupp, a native of Anchorage, AK, has played in 33 games with the Aces this season and has recorded 30 points (10-20-30). In his last five games, Trupp has registered seven points (2-5-7).
The Heat are tied for first place in road wins in the entire AHL with 13.
The Voice of your Abbotsford Heat Brandon Astle will bring all live Heat action this week on 101.7 CIVL FM and on www.teamradio.ca. The pre-game show begins 15 minutes before puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 14, 2014
- More January Promotions with the Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Kings Assign Toffoli to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Dalton Prout Loaned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Barons Buddies Bowling Event Takes Place Tomorrow Night - Oklahoma City Barons
- Week Preview: Games 40, 41, 42 vs. Rockford IceHogs & Grand Rapids - Abbotsford Heat
- Stars Weekly (Week 16) - Texas Grabs First Place in West - Texas Stars
- Dalton Prout Loaned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- D'Agostino Assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Announce Roster Moves - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jurco to Wings, Aubry to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Archibald Returned to the Comets - Utica Comets
- B-Sens to Appear at CAN-AM BBQ January 21 - Binghamton Senators
- New Look Sharks Sweep 3-In-3 Weekend in Style at DCU Center - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Rampage Recall Madore, Loan Miskovic and Houser to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Conclude Busy Home Stretch with Tilts against Chicago and Abbotsford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Nightingale Named IceHogs Team Captain - Rockford IceHogs
- Comets Corner: the Secret Workings of a Game Day - Utica Comets
- Falcons Exclusive 'Meet the Team' Event Set for January 15 - Springfield Falcons
- Wolf Pack Sign Goaltender David LeNeveu - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Jaskin Recalled from Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Weekly - 3 Home Games this Week - Adirondack Phantoms
- IceCaps to Practice with Minor Hockey Players - St. John's IceCaps
- Wolf Pack's Hensick Pumped to be Back in AHL - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Glens Falls Making Its Case - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.