Week 14: Abubakar Named to MLS Team of the Week
For the third week in a row, the Colorado Rapids are well represented in the MLS Team of the Week.
Lalas Abubakar was named to the Week 14 Team of the Week after his game-winning header and defensive efforts in Colorado's 2-0 victory over FC Dallas on Wednesday. The 26-year-old Ghanaian headed captain Jack Price's free kick delivery at the far post into the back of the net for his first goal of the season. Abubakar completed over 90 percent of his passes and won six duels in his third consecutive start.
The two-time Club Defensive Player of the Year is also up for Player of the Week. Click here to vote for Lalas
Abubakar's selection to the MLS TOTW follows Kellyn Acosta, who was named to it in Week 12 for his performance in Colorado's 2-0 win over Minnesota, and Cole Bassett, who earned his third TOTW selection this year thanks to his equalizer against San Jose in Week 13.
The full Week 14 MLS Team of the Week is as follows:
F -Â Raul Ruidiaz (SEA), Adam Buksa (NE), Felipe Mora (POR)
M -Â Arnor Traustason (NE), Andres Perea (ORL), Diego Chara (POR), Ismael Tajouri-Shradi (NYC)
D -Â Ronald Hernandez (ATL), Lalas Abubakar (COL), Josh Atencio (SEA)
GK -Â Kenneth Vermeer (CIN)
Coach -Â Brian Schmetzer (SEA)
Bench -Â Joe Willis (NSH), Nathan (SJ), Kevin Paredes (DC), Ralph Priso (TOR), Rayan Raveloson (LA), Carles Gil (NE), Daniel Salloi (SKC)
The Team of the Week presented by Audi is voted on by the MLSsoccer.com editorial staff.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 23, 2021
- LAFC Takes on the Vancouver Whitecaps Tomorrow, July 24 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Honors Legacy of Seattle Soccer Icon Jimmy Gabriel at this Sunday's Heritage-Themed Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew - Atlanta United FC
- Neville, Chapman: Ã¢ÂÂWe Have to Fight for the FansÃ¢ÂÂÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Raúl Ruidíaz Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Raúl Ruidíaz Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 14 - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. Portland Timbers - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew Travels to Face Atlanta United on Saturday to Begin Two-Match Road Stretch - Columbus Crew SC
- Preview: Rapids Visit Real Salt Lake in First Rocky Mountain Cup Clash of 2021 - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC to Play August Home Matches at Bmo Field - Toronto FC
- Whitecaps FC Set to Return to BC Place on August 21 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- CF Montréal Will Play at Stade Saputo in August - Club de Foot Montreal
- MLS Canadian Clubs to Host August Matches in Canada - MLS
- Atlanta United terminates Fernando Meza's contract - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami CF to Host the Philadelphia Union on SundayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting and Seattle Set for Sunday Showdown - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Rocky Mountain Rival Colorado Rapids - Real Salt Lake
- Week 14: Abubakar Named to MLS Team of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Road Trip in San Jose - Houston Dynamo FC
- Rocky Mountain Cup Keys: Enjoy the Ball and Fight - Colorado Rapids
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts Rival FC Cincinnati at Nissan Stadium this Saturday - Nashville SC
- Charlotte FC Introduces Head Coach Miguel Ángel Ramírez at Press Conference in Bank of America Stadium - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Keys against Toronto: Pressure and Pass to Success
- Set Piece King Jack Price Named to MLS Team of the Week Bench
- Rapids Begin Three-Game Homestand on Sunday vs. Vancouver
- Keys against Vancouver: Score Twice (Or More), Slow Ryan Gauld
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest