Charlotte FC Introduces Head Coach Miguel Ángel Ramírez at Press Conference in Bank of America Stadium
The Spaniard, together with assistants Christian Lattanzio and Mikel Antía, will lead the MLS expansion team in the inaugural season in 2022
Charlotte, NC - Charlotte FC officially introduced today its first head coach Miguel Ángel Ramírez during a press conference at Bank of America Stadium.Â The Spaniard joins Charlotte FCÂ after coaching club SC Internacional (Brazil's top-flight Série A league) and leading Ecuadorian team, Independiente del Valle, in their first major win in history at Copa Sudamericana in 2019.
The event featured remarks by Charlotte FC Owner, David Tepper, President Nick Kelly and head coach Ramírez. Attendees included city dignitaries, leadership of Tepper Sports & Entertainment, Charlotte FC supporters, players Adam Armour and Brandt Bronico, and members of the Charlotte FC Academy.
"This is a historic moment as we welcome Miguel as the first-ever head coach of Charlotte Football Club," said Owner David Tepper. "This was a long and thorough search process, but I knew we had the right coach quickly after speaking with him. He's a process-oriented, disciplined coach who is not afraid to push the limits. He knows how he wants to play the game. It's an aggressive, exciting, attacking style of play on offense and defense, and he knows how to develop talent. This is an exciting day and I can't wait for us to take the pitch in 2022."
The native of Las Palmas, Spain, is considered one of the top up-and-coming coaches in South America.Â Â Ramírez, 36, currently resides in Spain and will be relocating to Charlotte, N.C., this summer.
"It is my honor and privilege to accept this position and a great pleasure to be the first head coach in the club's history. Charlotte FC is where I want to start a new chapter in my life," said head coach Ramírez. "It is a beautiful challenge to help build a competitive, winning club and I can't be more excited about helping elevate the passion of soccer to the Carolinas. We will be very proud and grateful to have our home full of passionate fans in 2022 and beyond."
To celebrate Ramírez, the club is also hosting an Exclusive Head Coach Welcome Party for Inaugural Season Ticket Members to meet coachÂ on Friday, July 23.Â More information is availableÂ here.
Players Impressions and Expectations
"I am very excited to work with the coaching staff the club has selected. Head coach Ramírez has a history of developing young players, I am enthusiastic about his entertaining and efficient playing style. I feel that we have a very good mix with a staff that brings experience from Europe, South America, and the MLS."
"I am excited and looking forward to work with our coaching team. Head coach Ramírez has shown that he can bring success to a club within a short amount of time and is exactly what our club needs. All coaches have years of experience and will help, together with a good team, create success for Charlotte FC."
"I think that we will work well together, that we will create a good group together with the entire team. I believe that we will fight for the highest goals and that all training staff will prepare us properly for the inaugural season and we will function at a high level as a team."
"It is extremely exciting seeing Miguel, Christian, and Mikel shape the coaching staff. I have heard nothing but great things about all three of them and I am excited to work, grow, and, ultimately, win trophies together beginning in 2022!"
"I am really excited to see the coaching staff come together. I am looking forward to the challenge of our inaugural season, working with the head coach and his team to be the best we can."
"I am looking forward to working with this coaching staff, I have been able to meet head coach Miguel personally and he transmits a lot of enthusiasm and an exciting style of play."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 23, 2021
- LAFC Takes on the Vancouver Whitecaps Tomorrow, July 24 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Honors Legacy of Seattle Soccer Icon Jimmy Gabriel at this Sunday's Heritage-Themed Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew - Atlanta United FC
- Neville, Chapman: Ã¢ÂÂWe Have to Fight for the FansÃ¢ÂÂÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Raúl Ruidíaz Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Raúl Ruidíaz Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 14 - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. Portland Timbers - Minnesota United FC
- Columbus Crew Travels to Face Atlanta United on Saturday to Begin Two-Match Road Stretch - Columbus Crew SC
- Preview: Rapids Visit Real Salt Lake in First Rocky Mountain Cup Clash of 2021 - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC to Play August Home Matches at Bmo Field - Toronto FC
- Whitecaps FC Set to Return to BC Place on August 21 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- CF Montréal Will Play at Stade Saputo in August - Club de Foot Montreal
- MLS Canadian Clubs to Host August Matches in Canada - MLS
- Atlanta United terminates Fernando Meza's contract - Atlanta United FC
- Inter Miami CF to Host the Philadelphia Union on SundayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting and Seattle Set for Sunday Showdown - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Rocky Mountain Rival Colorado Rapids - Real Salt Lake
- Week 14: Abubakar Named to MLS Team of the Week - Colorado Rapids
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Road Trip in San Jose - Houston Dynamo FC
- Rocky Mountain Cup Keys: Enjoy the Ball and Fight - Colorado Rapids
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts Rival FC Cincinnati at Nissan Stadium this Saturday - Nashville SC
- Charlotte FC Introduces Head Coach Miguel Ángel Ramírez at Press Conference in Bank of America Stadium - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte FC Stories
- The Carolina Lightnin', Charlotte's First Pro Soccer Team, Celebrates Its 40th Anniversary
- Charlotte FC Launches Greater Goals After-School Program
- Breaking Down the Guzmán Corujo Signing
- How a Charlotte Youngster Used Soccer to Help Battle Rare Cancer
- Hispanic Community Excited to Welcome MLS to the Carolinas