Weber's Ninth-Inning Homer Adds Drama but Bears Fall
BOISE, Idaho - Michael Weber belted a two-out, two-strike, two-run homer to pull the Yakima Bears (23-13, 41-33) within a run but Aaron Kurcz struck out pinch hitter Yazy Arbelo to ensure a 4-3 win for the Boise Hawks (15-21, 34-40) in front of 3,664 fans at Memorial Stadium Friday night.
The Bears had been held hitless since the third inning before Weber crushed his third home run of the season.
Yakima jumped out to a 1-0 lead with an unearned run in the top of the first inning. Boise then took the lead on a two-run double from Chad Noble, making his Hawks debut, in the second.
The Hawks later added a run in the sixth, and a vital insurance run that came unearned in the eighth, following a Zach Walters throwing error.
Eduardo Figueroa (2-3) pitched five innings, allowing an unearned run on two hits while walking one to earn the victory. Kevin Eichorn (0-1), making his Bears debut, went six innings, allowing three runs on six hits while striking out five and walking three to suffer the loss. Kurcz recorded the final out to notch his ninth save of the year.
Weber finished the night 1-for-4 with a home run, three RBI and a stolen base. Mike Freeman went 2-for-4, extending his hit streak to 15 with a first-inning single.
At two hours, 14 minutes the Bears played their fastest game of the season and have now split the first 10 games of 2010 with the rival Hawks.
Yakima and Boise will meet again Saturday night at 6:15 PDT for game two of the three-game set. Brad Wilson (2-3, 4.32 ERA) is slated to pitch for the Bears against Eric Jokish (2-3, 8.01 ERA) for the Hawks.
Single-game and playoff tickets for game one against the Spokane Indians are on sale now at the downtown Bears office at 17 N. 3rd Street, Suite 101 and online at yakimabears.com. You can catch every Bears game all season long on 1460 AM KUTI or listen online at yakimabears.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from September 3, 2010
- C's shutout Everett 1-0 - Vancouver Canadians
- Sox Manage Just Two Hits in Loss to Vancouver - Everett AquaSox
- Weber's Ninth-Inning Homer Adds Drama but Bears Fall - Yakima Bears
- Boise wins over Yakima - Boise Hawks
- Playoff Baseball Is Back In Spokane - Spokane Indians
- Six-Run First Inning Leads to Game Two Victory - Everett AquaSox
- C's Drop Nightcap 6-1 to Everett AquaSox to Split Doubleheader - Vancouver Canadians
- C's Win NWL West Division on Thursday in Everett - Vancouver Canadians
- Burgos, Big Fifth Frame Boost Bears to Division Clincher - Yakima Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.