Burgos, Big Fifth Frame Boost Bears to Division Clincher
YAKIMA, Wash. - The Yakima Bears (23-12, 41-32) blew what was a tied game wide open with five runs in the fifth to defeat the Tri-City Dust Devils (12-23, 29-44) 9-1 and clinch the second-half Northwest League East title in front of 3,131 fans at County Stadium Thursday night.
The Bears sent nine men to the plate, scoring five times on four hits and two Bryce Massanari throwing errors to take a commanding 6-1 lead.
Yakima added two insurances runs in the seventh and another in the eighth on a Henry Zabala RBI double.
Enrique Burgos (2-1) worked six innings, allowing a run on three hits while striking out seven and walking four to earn the win. Josh Mueller (2-3) allowed six runs - five earned - on seven hits in 4 1/3 innings to take the loss.
Roberto Ortiz finished the night 2-for-3 with two doubles and a run. Justin Hilt went 2-for-4 with a triple, a run, an RBI and two stolen bases. Jhoan Pimentel also went 2-for-4 with a double and two two-out RBI.
With the bases loaded, one out, and the game tied in the third, Burgos induced a huge, inning-ending 5-4-3 double play off the bat of Leonardo Reyes.
Yakima travels to Boise for game one of the final three-game series of the regular season. First pitch is set for 6:15 Friday night, with Kevin Eichorn (0-0, 0.00 ERA) slated to make his Bears debut against Eduardo Figueroa (1-3, 4.75 ERA) for the Hawks.
Single-game and playoff tickets for game one against the Spokane Indians are on sale now at the downtown Bears office at 17 N. 3rd Street, Suite 101 and online at yakimabears.com. You can catch every Bears game all season long on 1460 AM KUTI or listen online at yakimabears.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from September 3, 2010
- C's shutout Everett 1-0 - Vancouver Canadians
- Sox Manage Just Two Hits in Loss to Vancouver - Everett AquaSox
- Weber's Ninth-Inning Homer Adds Drama but Bears Fall - Yakima Bears
- Boise wins over Yakima - Boise Hawks
- Playoff Baseball Is Back In Spokane - Spokane Indians
- Six-Run First Inning Leads to Game Two Victory - Everett AquaSox
- C's Drop Nightcap 6-1 to Everett AquaSox to Split Doubleheader - Vancouver Canadians
- C's Win NWL West Division on Thursday in Everett - Vancouver Canadians
- Burgos, Big Fifth Frame Boost Bears to Division Clincher - Yakima Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.