Waterloo Rallies Past Musketeers
(Waterloo, IA) - The Sioux City Musketeers hoped to ride momentum from an early buzzer-beating goal but it was the Waterloo Black Hawks skating to a 2-1 victory at Young Arena on Friday.
The two teams held each other scoreless until the final seconds of the first period when Joel Maatta ripped a slapshot from his left knee past Waterloo netminder Charlie Glockner with 4.1 seconds remaining.
But the Black Hawks struck for two goals in the second period, tying the game at the midway point before taking the lead nearly five minutes later.
Maatta's goal was assisted by Bennett Schimek while Akira Schmid finished with 22 saves in net. The Musketeers are now 9-10-1 and look to bounce back Saturday night when the two teams rematch at 6:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 23, 2021
- Gameday Preview: vs. Tri-City - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Split Weekend Series with Stars - Tri-City Storm
- Steel Fall 5-2 to Youngstown - Chicago Steel
- Game, Weekend, Series - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Sillinger Leads Stampede to Win over Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Lancers Fall to Stampede, 4-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Lancers Add Penney from Gamblers - Omaha Lancers
- Lancers Edge Stampede, 2-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Seek Weekend Sweep of Stars - Tri-City Storm
- Waterloo Rallies Past Musketeers - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.