Sillinger Leads Stampede to Win over Omaha
RALSTON, Neb. - Sioux Falls Stampede forward Cole Sillinger provided the two-goal spark that ended a three-game losing streak in a 4-1 victory over the Omaha Lancers at Ralston Arena Saturday night. Nate Schweitzer and Arlo Merritt also scored for the Herd, while Trent Burnham made the start and stopped 25 of 26 shots faced.
The Omaha Lancers were not going to make it easy on a desperate Sioux Falls Stampede team looking to end a three-game losing streak following a 2-1 loss last night at Ralston Arena. Kyle Bettens scored the opening goal at the 8:24 point of the first period for the 1-0 lead. The Stampede were able to respond with a goal of their own at 14:31 off the stick of Cole Sillinger. Sillinger, who was recently rated a top fifteen 2021 NHL Draft prospect by NHL.com, was able to sneak a puck under the glove of Jakub Dobes from the lower left circle to the back of the net. Nate Schweitzer provided the assist on the game-tying goal.
The Stampede were able to end their second period woes that consisted of allowing a goal in the first two minutes in their past four contests. Schweitzer was able to snipe a puck from the blue line on a screened goaltender for the 2-1 lead. Garrett Sundquist and Ean Somoza provided the assists.
Sillinger and forward Arlo Merritt sealed the 4-1 victory with a goal each in the third period. The third goal of the evening came off a beautiful tic-tac-toe pass from Garrett Pinoniemi to Brent Johnson who had Sillinger at the back door of Dobes. Merritt scored with 1:16 remaining in the third period on an empty-net power play.
The Herd moves to 9-12-1 on the season and travel to Lincoln on Friday for a 7:05 p.m. contest and finish the road trip with a pair of games on Saturday and Sunday against the Sioux City Musketeers. Fans can catch the games streaming live at HockeyTV.com or listen live on KELO Radio 107.9 FM, 1320 AM or Kelo.com.
Images from this story
Sioux Falls Stampede forward Cole Sillinger
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 23, 2021
- Gameday Preview: vs. Tri-City - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Split Weekend Series with Stars - Tri-City Storm
- Steel Fall 5-2 to Youngstown - Chicago Steel
- Game, Weekend, Series - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Sillinger Leads Stampede to Win over Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Lancers Fall to Stampede, 4-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Lancers Add Penney from Gamblers - Omaha Lancers
- Lancers Edge Stampede, 2-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Seek Weekend Sweep of Stars - Tri-City Storm
- Waterloo Rallies Past Musketeers - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.