Washington Spirit Appoints Emma May as President of Business Operations
Washington, D.C. - The Washington Spirit has named Emma May as the new President of Business Operations. Working closely with club owner Michele Kang, May will oversee team business functions.
"Emma is the perfect leader as we embark on an ambitious goal of professionalizing and transforming the club into one of the best sports franchises in the world," said Kang. "Emma's experience and expertise in branding, marketing and media, especially in the sports world, is second to none. More importantly, her genuine empathetic leadership will be instrumental as we build a collaborative and winning culture."
May currently serves as the Senior Brand Director of Global Athlete Marketing at Nike, where she led the team responsible for setting and driving Nike's global elite marketing strategy. Among other accomplishments, May's Nike portfolio included deep experience in marketing women's professional sports, including the NWSL and WNBA. She will begin her duties with the Spirit on October 24.
"I am honored to have the opportunity to join the Spirit as the new President of Business Operations during this transformational time," said May. "Michele has a vision and is committed to making this club one of the best in the world. We have an opportunity to build something special for players and stakeholders from our employees here at the Spirit, the supporters, and the next generation of fans and players in the area. I am so proud to be a part of that."
At Nike, May led priority athlete marketing plans and created new ways to tell important stories with key strategic athlete-owned content partners. May held several other leadership positions at Nike during her tenure including leading marketing efforts for its Leagues, Athletes and Grassroots in North America and Global Basketball teams.
Prior to Nike, May held various positions at Turner Sports, culminating in her role as Vice President of Marketing for Bleacher Report Live, NBA Digital and NBA on TNT. At Turner Sports, she launched a digital subscription service for Bleacher Report, drove continuous growth for NBA League Pass and led content marketing efforts for NBA on TNT and NBA TV. Additionally, May has worked with Red Bull, Nissan North America and Athlon Sports.
A native of Nashville, Tennessee, May is a graduate of Middle Tennessee State University. May has done volunteer work at Humanities Tennessee, Habitat for Humanity, Nashville CARES, Big Brother/Big Sister, Hands On Nashville and Make A Wish Foundation.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 16, 2022
- Match Preview: San Diego Wave FC vs. Angel City FC - San Diego Wave FC
- Racing Turns in Complete Performance in 2-0 Win Over Orlando - Racing Louisville FC
- Orlando Pride Loses on the Road at Louisville - Orlando Pride
- Defender Sinclaire Miramontez Placed on Season-Ending Injury List - OL Reign
- Houston Dash Travels to Chicago to Take on Red Stars - Houston Dash
- Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Announce Calendar for Hispanic Heritage Month Festivities - Houston Dash
- Athletic Club Memento Joins Forces with Angel City FC to Auction-Worn Jerseys from SoCal Rival Matchup against San Diego Wave - Angel City FC
- NWSL Disciplinary Committee Releases Decision on Incident During Washington Spirit-San Diego Wave FC Match on September 10 - NWSL
- Kansas City Current Look to Rebound against Portland as NWSL Shield Race Heats Up - Kansas City Current
- Orlando Pride Unveils "The Futures CollectionÃ¢ÂÂ, a Mission-Driven Clothing Collaboration with Erin McLeod - Orlando Pride
- Match Preview: Courage vs. OL Reign - North Carolina Courage
- Forward Tobin Heath Placed on Season-Ending Injury List - OL Reign
- Match Preview: Chicago vs Houston - Chicago Red Stars
- Washington Spirit Appoints Emma May as President of Business Operations - Washington Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Spirit Stories
- Washington Spirit Set to Play Full Home Schedule at Audi Field
- Washington Spirit Re-Signs Midfielder Marissa Sheva
- Washington Spirit Names Mark Parsons New Head Coach
- Spirit to Celebrate First Washington Spirit Day with Community Cleanup
- What You Need to Know About the 2023 Schedule Footprint