Houston Dash Travels to Chicago to Take on Red Stars
Theâ¯Houston Dash travel north to take on the Chicago Red Stars for the second time this season and the fourth time in 2022. The match will stream live on Paramount+ (national) and Twitch (intl.).
The Dash look to build off a 1-1 draw at home against Angel City FC last Sunday. The race for the playoffs tightens up even more with two points separating first and fourth place following last weekend's slate of games. With the draw, Houston slid down from second place to fourth place. Both the Dash and San Diego are the only two teams who have played 19 matches so far this season. A pair of midweek match ups moved Chicago and Kansas City into the 19-game threshold heading into the weekend.
Houston and Chicago met for the first time this season on July 16. Interim head coach Juan Carlos Amorós made his NWSL coaching debut in the match. Forward Ebony Salmon recorded her first career hat trick in the 4-1 win at home. Salmon earned NWSL Player of the Week honors following her performance and the Dash snapped Chicago's nine games unbeaten streak.
Chicago enters Saturday's game after a mid-week match up against Kansas City in Bridgeview, Ill. The Red Stars beat the Current 4-0 at home, ending Kansas City's 13-game unbeaten streak. Chicago took a 2-0 lead 10 minutes into the match after Tatum Milazzo and Mallory Pugh scored in almost back-to-back sequences. Pugh finished the match with a brace and an assist in the match.
The Dash return home for the final time this season to take on OL Reign for the second time this year on Sept. 24. The team will also celebrate Fan Appreciation Night as the club says thank you to the Orange faithful for their support this year. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. CT and tickets are available here.
Here are three key points ahead of Saturday's match:
GAUVIN'S FIRST MINUTES: French forward Valerie Gauvin, who was acquired by the Dash in August via trade from North Carolina, made her NWSL and Houston debut against the Washington Spirit as a second half substitute, playing nine minutes. On Sunday, against Angel City, Gauvin came off the bench and provided a spark in the attack as Houston tried to break the 1-1 tie late in the game. Gauvin's first touch of the game almost resulted in the game-winning goal. The striker's shot narrowly missed the inside of the near post. In 12 minutes of action against Angel City the forward created one big chance and had two shots in the box.
SERIES HISTORY: Saturday's match will be the fourth time these two teams have met during the calendar year. This will be the 26th time the two teams have met, making Chicago one of Houston's most frequent rivals. The biggest win the Dash have ever recorded over the Red Stars in series history is the 2020 NWSL Challenge Cup final in Utah. The victory gave the Dash its first ever league trophy. In 2022, the Dash have a 1-2-0 record (WLD) across all competitions. Houston recorded its second hat trick of the season against Red Stars on July 16 off the boots of forward Ebony Salmon, who scored her first three goals for the Dash with the hat trick.
CHICAGO'S MAIN THREAT: Chicago forward Mallory Pugh is unquestionably one of the most dynamic players in the league. She enters Saturday's game with 10 goals, six assists and the most shots on target for a Red Stars player, with 26. The 24-year-old is by far Chicago's main offensive producer, leading the team in every offensive category. The Dash backline will look to hold their line against Pugh, who has been called offside 13 times this season, the most of any Red Stars player. Chicago has scored 30 goals this season which is the third best mark in the league. Houston is third best with 32 goals scored through 19 games.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 16, 2022
- Match Preview: San Diego Wave FC vs. Angel City FC - San Diego Wave FC
- Racing Turns in Complete Performance in 2-0 Win Over Orlando - Racing Louisville FC
- Orlando Pride Loses on the Road at Louisville - Orlando Pride
- Defender Sinclaire Miramontez Placed on Season-Ending Injury List - OL Reign
- Houston Dash Travels to Chicago to Take on Red Stars - Houston Dash
- Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Announce Calendar for Hispanic Heritage Month Festivities - Houston Dash
- Athletic Club Memento Joins Forces with Angel City FC to Auction-Worn Jerseys from SoCal Rival Matchup against San Diego Wave - Angel City FC
- NWSL Disciplinary Committee Releases Decision on Incident During Washington Spirit-San Diego Wave FC Match on September 10 - NWSL
- Kansas City Current Look to Rebound against Portland as NWSL Shield Race Heats Up - Kansas City Current
- Orlando Pride Unveils "The Futures CollectionÃ¢ÂÂ, a Mission-Driven Clothing Collaboration with Erin McLeod - Orlando Pride
- Match Preview: Courage vs. OL Reign - North Carolina Courage
- Forward Tobin Heath Placed on Season-Ending Injury List - OL Reign
- Match Preview: Chicago vs Houston - Chicago Red Stars
- Washington Spirit Appoints Emma May as President of Business Operations - Washington Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- NWSL Announces 2023 Season Schedule Footprint
- Houston Dash Announce 2022 Roster Decisions
- Houston Dash Announce 2022 Team Awards
- Tiernny Wiltshire Named to Jamaica Roster for November Friendlies
- Houston Dynamo Football Club Names Jessica O'Neill Chief Operating Officer