Washington Spirit Announces Initial Offseason Roster Moves
Washington, D.C. - The Washington Spirit has made several roster moves this offseason in preparation for its upcoming 12th season in 2024, the club announced today.
The Spirit has six players in the NWSL's latest free agent class. Goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart, defender Amber Brooks, midfielder Bayley Feist and midfielder Tori Huster are all unrestricted free agents (UFA) and thus eligible to sign with any club with which they reach an agreement. Defender/forward Camryn Biegalski and midfielder Marissa Sheva are restricted free agents (RFA) and are thus able to negotiate with other clubs but the Spirit retains the right to match any offers they may receive. These players were able to begin negotiations for their 2024 Standard Player Agreements on Friday, September 22, 2023. Agreements for all NWSL free agents will be announced when their terms are finalized through the league office.
The club would like to thank midfielder Nicole Douglas, defender Maddie Elwell and midfielder Inès Jaurena for their valuable contributions to the Spirit. The playing rights for all three will be distributed through the waiver wire. Should their rights not be picked up through the waiver wire, they will become eligible for the discovery process as they do not yet meet the three-year NWSL service time minimum requirement to be eligible for restricted free agency.
"Nicole, Maddie and Inès all played important roles during their tenure with the Spirit and provided phenomenal value on and off the pitch," said President of Soccer Operations/General Manager Mark Krikorian. "We thank them for their dedication and work ethic and look forward to following their future successes."
Elwell joined the Spirit after being drafted by the club in the second round of the 2022 NWSL Draft and appeared in 19 total matches over the past two years, tallying one goal across over 800 minutes of action. Jaurena signed with the club in February, making the jump to the NWSL after ten professional seasons in France. She appeared in 17 total matches for the Spirit in 2023, playing over 1,100 minutes. Douglas was drafted by the Spirit in the third round of the 2023 NWSL Draft and made 16 total appearances for the club this year, seeing over 400 minutes of playing time.
The Spirit exercised the 2024 team option on forward Ashley Hatch's contract in June, keeping her with the club through the end of next season. The club has also exercised the 2025 option on forward Trinity Rodman's contract and the 2026 options on both goalkeeper Aubrey Kingsbury's and midfielder Andi Sullivan's contracts.
The club continues to hold the NWSL playing rights to midfielder/defender Delaney Graham, the 40th overall pick in the 2023 NWSL Draft, and will extend a 2024 preseason camp invitation to her. Because Graham did not report to preseason camp in 2023, her 60-day signing window has not yet begun.
There are currently 18 players under contract with the Spirit for the 2024 season:
Goalkeepers (2): Lyza Bosselmann; Aubrey Kingsbury
Defenders (6): Dorian Bailey; Annaïg Butel; Gabrielle Carle; Anna Heilferty; Tara McKeown; Sam Staab
Midfielders (5): Paige Metayer; Chloe Ricketts; Ashley Sanchez; Andi Sullivan; Riley Tanner
Forwards (5): Ashley Hatch; Civana Kuhlmann; Trinity Rodman; Ouleymata Sarr; Lena Silano
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from November 20, 2023
- Houston Dash Announce End of Season Roster Decisions - Houston Dash
- Courage Announce 2023 End-Of-Season Contract Statuses - North Carolina Courage
- Kansas City Current Roster Update - Kansas City Current
- Gotham FC Announces 2023 End of Season Contract Statuses - NJ/NY Gotham FC
- San Diego Wave FC Announce 2023 Roster Decisions - San Diego Wave FC
- Chicago Red Stars 2023 Roster Update - Chicago Red Stars
- Thorns FC Announce Roster Status Ahead of 2024 Season - Portland Thorns FC
- OL Reign Announces 2023 End-Of-Season Roster Moves - OL Reign
- Washington Spirit Announces Initial Offseason Roster Moves - Washington Spirit
- Angel City Football Club Announces Roster Status - Angel City FC
- Racing Announces Initial Offseason Roster Update - Racing Louisville FC
- Courage Receive Expansion Draft Protection and Allocation Money from Utah Royals FC - North Carolina Courage
- Utah Royals FC Adds North Carolina Courage Duo Emily Gray & Francesca Tagliaferri - Utah Royals
- Orlando Pride Announces 2023 End-Of-Season Contract Updates - Orlando Pride
- Dahlkemper, Girma & Shaw Named to USWNT Training Camp Roster - San Diego Wave FC
- Three Spirit Players Called up to USWNT for Two December Friendly Matches - Washington Spirit
- Racing Star DeMelo Called into U.S. Women's National Team Camp - Racing Louisville FC
- Three Gotham FC Players Selected to USWNT Training Camp Roster for December Friendlies - NJ/NY Gotham FC
- Three Thorns FC Players Named to U.S. Women's National Team Training Camp Roster for December Friendlies against China PR - Portland Thorns FC
- Jane Campbell Named to USWNT Training Camp Roster - Houston Dash
- Utah Royals FC Acquires Kaleigh Riehl from San Diego Wave FC - Utah Royals
- San Diego Wave FC Acquires Allocation Money & Expansion Draft Protection, Trades Kaleigh Riehl to Utah Royals FC - San Diego Wave FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Spirit Stories
- Gabby Carle Called up to Canadian National Team for December Friendlies
- 2024 NWSL Draft, Presented by Ally, Set for January 12
- Riley Tanner Called up to Panama National Team for 2023 Road to W Gold Cup
- Washington Spirit Announces Initial Offseason Roster Moves
- Three Spirit Players Called up to USWNT for Two December Friendly Matches