Warriors Rout Rio Grande Valley
HIDALGO, Tex. - The Santa Cruz Warriors (27-19) defeated the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (29-17) 138-125 on Tuesday night at State Farm Arena.
Jabari Brown led all scorers with 36 points off 12-of-18 shooting for the Warriors. James Southerland added 31 points, while Damian Jones, on assignment from the Golden State Warriors, notched a double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds. LaDontae Henton contributed 17 points and 6 rebounds off the bench, while Phil Pressey notched a double-double with 13 points and 10 assists.
The Vipers were paced by Isaiah Taylor who notched a double-double with 22 points, 10 assists, and 6 rebounds. Jaron Johnson came off the bench to add 21 points for Rio Grande Valley, while Darius Morris contributed 20 points. Chinanu Onuaku also notched a double-double, finishing with 19 points and 15 rebounds.
The Warriors used the first quarter to find separation from the Vipers outscoring the hosts 33-24. The visitors expanded their lead to as many as 19 points in the second period behind hot-shooting from Jabari Brown and James Southerland who combined for 20 points in the frame.
Santa Cruz continued to execute their offense in the third quarter, shooting 68.4% from the field and 57.1% from distance. Though the Vipers would chip away at their deficit to come within two possessions of the Warriors, two consecutive three-pointers from Jabari Brown as the third period came to a close would give Santa Cruz a 101-90 lead heading into the final frame.
Rio Grande Valley opened the fourth quarter on an 8-0 run to limit their deficit to three points with 10:23 remaining in regulation. The Warriors would battle back and re-build their advantage to as many as 14 points in the frame to secure their victory and take the season series 3-1 against the Vipers.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will remain in Texas to take on the Austin Spurs on Thursday, Mar. 23 at 5:30 p.m. PST at Cedar Park Center. Fans can catch the game the game on Facebook Live by visiting the Santa Cruz Warriors' Facebook page at tip-off.
Tickets are still available to attend the Warriors' final home game of the regular season on Mar. 31 against the Los Angeles D-Fenders. Tickets can be purchased at the Santa Cruz Warriors' headquarters at 903 Pacific Avenue, online at www.santacruzbasketball.com or over the phone at (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 22, 2017
- Warriors Assign Kevon Looney to Santa Cruz Warriors - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bighorns Partner with Zubaz for Theme Jersey Night - Reno Bighorns
- Bighorns Fall on the Road to Delaware - Reno Bighorns
- Mad Ants Partake in NBA D-League Go Green Week - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Warriors Rout Rio Grande Valley - Santa Cruz Warriors
- RGV Vipers Can Not Complete Comeback - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Bulls Cruise Past Knicks to Complete Season Sweep of Westchester - Windy City Bulls
- Rally Attempt Falls Short as Westchester Knicks Suffer Season Series Sweep to Bulls - Westchester Knicks
- Stagnant Offense Dooms Energy in Loss to Spurs - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors Team Store to Host Warriors Championship Trophy Tour Sunday, September 23
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule
- Stuff the Bus School Supply Assembly Event - Saturday , August 4
- Harlem Globetrotters Tickets on Sale Tomorrow, July 31
- Golden State Warriors Sign Guard Damion Lee to Two-Way Contract