Warren Slams Door as BlueClaws Win 2-1 on Monday
GREENSBORO, NC - Zach Warren struck out the side in the ninth to seal yet another BlueClaws win as Lakewood topped Greensboro 2-1 on Monday night at First national Bank Field to cut their magic number to three.
The BlueClaws are still 4.5 games ahead of Hickory with just seven left in the second half in their bid to become just the sixth team (since 2000) to with both halves of a South Atlantic League season. Lakewood (41-21/82-49) is also within two wins of matching the franchise record of 84 set by the 2006 and 2010 teams.
Warren has allowed two earned runs in 23.1 innings in the second half and has struck out 49, including three on Monday. 13 of his 14 saves have come since the break as well.
Lakewood took the lead in the top of the eighth on a Jose Antequera SAC fly to score Nick Maton from third base.
After five scoreless innings, the BlueClaws got a run in the top of the sixth when Rodolfo Duransingled home Jake Scheiner to open the scoring. Scheiner led off the inning with a triple to left-center.
Greensboro tied the game in the bottom of the seventh on an opposite field home run to right-center by Osiris Johnson off left-hander Damon Jones. That would be the only run allowed by Jones (9-7) over four innings of relief to earn the win.
Jeremy Ovalle (0-3) took the loss for the Grasshoppers.
BlueClaws starter Will Stewart went three innings and gave up no runs on one hit while Ismael Cabrera followed with a 1-2-3 fourth inning.
Grasshoppers starter Ethan Clark gave up one run over six innings while striking out eight.
Scheiner had two hits and a walk for the BlueClaws and has nine hits on the five game trip. The infielder is hitting .338 in the second half.
The teams continue their series on Tuesday night at 7:05 pm. The BlueClaws will be back home for the final four games of the regular season starting on Friday night.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 27, 2018
- Asheville Steals Game One in Kannapolis - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Battle Tested Tourists Hold off Intimidators - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Swat GreenJackets with 18-3 Victory - Lexington Legends
- Greenville Over Rome 6-2 Monday - Rome Braves
- Drive Strike Early in Monday's Win over Braves - Greenville Drive
- Johnson's Late-Game HR Not Enough - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- 'Dads Shuck 'Birds in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Take Game One over GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Five-Run Second Pushes Power to 7-2 Win in Opener - West Virginia Power
- Suns Fall to Power 7-2 in Series Opener on Monday - Hagerstown Suns
- Warren Slams Door as BlueClaws Win 2-1 on Monday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rheams Slashes Three Hits on Monday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Semple's Outstanding Debut Propels RiverDogs in Shutout Victory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 27 vs. Asheville (Game 126) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 27) - West Virginia Power
- Mauricio Garners South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week Honors - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power Wraps Up Home Schedule With Four-Game Series - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.