Warney, Legends Dominate in Texas-Sized Showdown
FRISCO, TX - The Texas Legends (23-16) took down the division-leading Austin Spurs (24-15) 134-123 Wednesday night in Frisco.
The visitors grabbed the first basket seconds into the game and the back-and-forth began. The two teams exchanged leads nine times in the first 12 minutes before an 11-point performance from Jalen Jones gave Texas the edge heading into the second. Jones matched his performance in the second but the Spurs fought back midway through and used a floater from Livio Jean-Charles in the final seconds to pull ahead by one going into the locker room.
After allowing 42 points in the second, Texas powered out 42 of their own in the third and held the Spurs to 26. Austin held a seven-point lead four minutes into the second half, but Texas streaked through 15 unanswered points and never looked back. Keith Hornsby went 4-of-4 for 11 points in the last two minutes of the third to give Texas a 15-point gap with 12 minutes to play. Jameel Warney was the final spark for the Legends, knocking down 5-of-6 for 12 points to seal the victory and close out the season series 3-1.
Warney led all scorers with 33 (15-of-20) while adding 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and a block, and Johnathan Motley grabbed the game's only double-double with 23 points, 11 rebounds. Duke Mondy, in his first appearance with the Legends, dished out a game-high 11 assists to go with 9 points, 3 rebounds while Jones finished with 29 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 assists.
Darrun Hilliard led the Spurs' efforts with 31 points, 5 assists while Olivier Hanlan added 22 points, 3 assists. Jaron Blossomgame had a team-high 9 rebounds along with 12 points, 4 assists, and Jean-Charles rounded out the double-digit scorers with 15.
Texas will return to the court Friday hosting the Northern Arizona Suns at 7:30pm CT. For tickets or information visit www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 22, 2018
- Skyforce Acquire 2018 2nd Round Draft Pick - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Legends Complete Trade with Clippers - Texas Legends
- Lakeland Magic Acquire Byron Mullens from Sioux Falls Skyforce - Lakeland Magic
- Timberwolves Reassign Justin Patton to NBA G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Taylor Braun Makes USA Men 's World Cup Qualifying Team - Salt Lake City Stars
- Heat Assign Rodney McGruder to Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Stars to Host Rudy Gobert Bobblehead Night - Salt Lake City Stars
- Cavaliers Sign Marcus Thornton to 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Delaware 87ers to Host the Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation Night - Delaware Blue Coats
- Cavaliers Recall Ante Zizic from Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Hustle Falter Late at Home against Suns - Memphis Hustle
- Salt Lake City Stars Fall to Bighorns - Salt Lake City Stars
- Bighorns Shutdown the Stars - Reno Bighorns
- Warney, Legends Dominate in Texas-Sized Showdown - Texas Legends
- Blue Can't Keep up with Charge - Oklahoma City Blue
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Legends Stories
- PRJKT VET Logo to Go on Legends' Court
- Legends Build "ConNEXTions" Youth Mentorship Program
- Texas Pro Sports Teams and Civic Organizations Unite with #TexasTeamUp Campaign to Encourage Voter Turnout in the Lone Star State
- Legends' Home Comerica Center to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Legends Host Voter Registration Event Sep. 22nd