Bighorns Shutdown the Stars
RENO, Nev. - The Reno Bighorns (21-16) defeated the Salt Lake City Stars (12-29) 133-114 Wednesday night at the Reno Events Center.
Jakarr Sampson led the Bighorns with 27 points and six rebounds while Matt Jones scored 23 points and grabbed seven rebounds. Jack Cooley had 21 points, seven rebounds and three assists.
Naz Long paced the Stars with 31 points, seven rebounds and two assists while Diamond Stone notched 24 points and 11 rebounds.
The teams kept the score close opening the first frame tying twice and alternating the lead eight times by the 6:00 mark. Reno had a one-point edge over Salt Lake at the mid-way point before Reno went on a late run after a triple from Jones to hold an eight-point advantage over the Stars entering the second frame.
Reno expanded their lead to as many as 26 points in the second quarter behind a 48.0% shooting effort in the frame. The hosts went into the locker room with a 10-point cushion.
The Bighorns continued to execute their offense in the third quarter, shooting 66.7% from behind the arc and outscoring Salt Lake City 35-25. Salt Lake rallied to cut the deficit to single digits at the 2:00 mark before Reno went on a 14-3 run to have a 20-point lead entering the final frame.
Isaiah Cousins opened up the fourth quarter scoring six points in under two minutes to make it a 16-point game. The Bighorns kept the Stars at bay rebuilding their advantage to as many as 26 points in the frame to secure a 133-114 victory against Salt Lake City.
The Bighorns will next travel to Memphis to take on the Hustle on Saturday, Feb. 24 at 10 a.m. PDT.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 22, 2018
- Skyforce Acquire 2018 2nd Round Draft Pick - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Legends Complete Trade with Clippers - Texas Legends
- Lakeland Magic Acquire Byron Mullens from Sioux Falls Skyforce - Lakeland Magic
- Timberwolves Reassign Justin Patton to NBA G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Taylor Braun Makes USA Men 's World Cup Qualifying Team - Salt Lake City Stars
- Heat Assign Rodney McGruder to Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Stars to Host Rudy Gobert Bobblehead Night - Salt Lake City Stars
- Cavaliers Sign Marcus Thornton to 10-Day Contract - Erie BayHawks
- Delaware 87ers to Host the Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation Night - Delaware Blue Coats
- Cavaliers Recall Ante Zizic from Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Hustle Falter Late at Home against Suns - Memphis Hustle
- Salt Lake City Stars Fall to Bighorns - Salt Lake City Stars
- Bighorns Shutdown the Stars - Reno Bighorns
- Warney, Legends Dominate in Texas-Sized Showdown - Texas Legends
- Blue Can't Keep up with Charge - Oklahoma City Blue
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Bighorns Stories
- Bighorns Drop Western Conference Semifinals to Lakers
- Coach Martin to Donate One Thousand Tickets to Local Non-Profits for Tuesday's Playoff Game
- Reno Bighorns to Play in Western Conference Semifinals on April 3
- Statement from the Reno Bighorns and Sacramento Kings Regarding the Passing of Zeke Upshaw
- Bighorns Earn Pacific Division Title with Win over Warriors