Walkoff Homer by Ijames Carries AirHogs to Win vs. Canaries
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - Stewart Ijames launched a dramatic three-run homer to right with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to carry the AirHogs to a thrilling 7-6 win over the Sioux Falls Canaries Sunday night.
The walkoff homer was the first of the season for Texas and the team's second walkoff win overall this year. Ijames, who had previously tripled and walked in the game, sent the blast to the right field seats off Canaries reliever James Jones (0-1) after Song Yunqi reached on a dropped third strike and Chen Chen walked earlier in the frame.
The homer was the third of the season for Ijames and the second of the game for Texas, who built a lead on the seventh homer of the year by Dillon Thomas in the first. His two-run blast came off Canaries starter Joe Bircher.
The early 2-0 lead quickly evaporated though, as the Canaries got to AirHogs starter Zhu Jinghao for three runs (two earned) over 3.2 innings. Sioux Falls built the lead to 5-2 vs. the AirHogs bullpen before an RBI single by Casio Grider in the sixth and a pinch hit RBI triple by Chen Chen in the seventh drew the AirHogs within 5-4.
The Canaries got to Taylor Wright for what was seemingly an insurance run in the eighth before Carlos Contreras (1-0) left a man on third in the ninth to keep Texas within two. The Ijames blast would cap the dramatic comeback.
Texas (9-30) will open a series vs. the Cleburne Railroaders (15-25) tomorrow at The Depot at Cleburne Station at 7:06 p.m. Starters for both teams are TBA. A live broadcast of the game will be available at mixlr.com/TXAirHogs.
The AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles play eight games at home from June 29-July 7. Tickets for all home games are available. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @TXAirHogs. Media inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 2, 2018
- Birds Drop Series Opener to Kansas City in Tight Game - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Four-Run Fourth Downs AirHogs in Cleburne - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Cage the Canaries; KC Wins 3-2 in Nine Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Crosby, Minor Lead 'Cats to 5-1 Win over Dogs in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Railroaders Cruise to Series-Opening Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Offensive Woes Continue as Saints Blanked by RedHawks 4-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Make Roster Moves - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Hi My Name Is...Saints Overhaul Roster with Signing of Three Pitchers and An Infielder - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Return Home to "Kaboom Town" to Celebrate the 4th - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks' Solomon Named AA Pitcher of the Week - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Streaking Dogs Look to Keep Rolling against Gary - Chicago Dogs
- Walkoff Homer by Ijames Carries AirHogs to Win vs. Canaries - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Kansas City Withers in Texas Heat, Falls in Series to Cleburne - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.