Goldeyes Make Roster Moves
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes made several transactions in advance of Monday's series-opener against the Sioux City Explorers.
The Goldeyes signed veteran right-handed pitcher Juan Carlos (JC) Sulbaran, veteran infielder Tommy Mendonca, and catcher Tyler Baker. The Goldeyes have activated left-handed pitcher Shane Dawson from the Inactive List. Veteran infielder Tucker Nathans has been placed on the Disabled List, retroactive to June 28th, while catcher Kevin Garcia has been placed on the Inactive List, retroactive to July 1st.
Sulbaran (pronounced SUE-bur-on) last pitched in 2016 where he was a combined 5-10 with a 5.24 ERA in 27 starts and one relief appearance at two levels of the St. Louis Cardinals' organization. The Willemstad, Curacao native totaled 146.0 innings for the Triple-A Pacific Coast League's Memphis Redbirds and the Double-A Texas League's Springfield Cardinals. The 28-year-old right-hander walked 55 and struck out 116. Sulbaran was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 30th round in 2008, and is 49-65 with a 4.86 ERA in 202 appearances during his eight-year professional career. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Sulbaran has averaged 8.3 strikeouts per nine innings in 945.2 career frames.
Mendonca hit .273 with three home runs and 12 RBI in 31 games earlier this season for the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks. The Turlock, California native hit .291 with six homers and 28 RBI in 49 contests last year for the Lincoln Saltdogs after spending the previous three seasons with the Explorers. Mendonca was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the second round in 2009 out of Fresno State University (Fresno, California). The left-handed batting Mendonca helped the Fresno State Bulldogs win the College World Series as a sophomore in 2008. Mendonca was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. The 30-year-old Mendonca reached Triple-A in the Rangers' farm system, and has three years of experience at Double-A.
Baker played in 46 games earlier this season for the High-A California League's Modesto Nuts (Seattle Mariners). Last season, the Topeka, Kansas native hit a combined .238 with six home runs and 15 RBI at two levels of the Arizona Diamondbacks' system. A left-handed batter and right-handed defender, Baker was drafted by the Diamondbacks in the 15th round in 2014 out of Wichita State University (Wichita, Kansas). The 25-year-old Baker has thrown out 35 percent of opposing base stealers during his five-year professional career.
Garcia is expected to miss the remainder of the season after suffering an injury on Saturday versus St. Paul. Garcia was batting .273 with one home run and 18 RBI in 40 games, and led the American Association with a 50 percent caught stealing rate.
Dawson has been on the Inactive List since June 2nd, and is 3-0 with a 3.38 ERA in three starts this season.
Additionally, left-handed pitcher Josh Blanco has cleared waivers and is now a free agent, while rookie first baseman Jamey Smart has been placed on irrevocable waivers for the purpose of granting his release.
The Goldeyes open a three-game series on the road tonight against the Sioux City Explorers. First pitch from Lewis and Clark Park is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. All the action can be heard locally on 93.7 FM CJNU and worldwide at www.cjnu.ca
The Goldeyes return home on Monday, July 9th when they host the Sioux Falls Canaries. Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 2, 2018
- Birds Drop Series Opener to Kansas City in Tight Game - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Four-Run Fourth Downs AirHogs in Cleburne - Texas AirHogs
- T-Bones Cage the Canaries; KC Wins 3-2 in Nine Innings - Kansas City T-Bones
- Crosby, Minor Lead 'Cats to 5-1 Win over Dogs in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Railroaders Cruise to Series-Opening Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Offensive Woes Continue as Saints Blanked by RedHawks 4-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Make Roster Moves - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Hi My Name Is...Saints Overhaul Roster with Signing of Three Pitchers and An Infielder - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Return Home to "Kaboom Town" to Celebrate the 4th - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks' Solomon Named AA Pitcher of the Week - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Streaking Dogs Look to Keep Rolling against Gary - Chicago Dogs
- Walkoff Homer by Ijames Carries AirHogs to Win vs. Canaries - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Kansas City Withers in Texas Heat, Falls in Series to Cleburne - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Goldeyes Announce Transactions
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints
- Charleston Breaks Appearances Record, Goldeyes Edged Late
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park