Walker Comes up Big in Drillers Second-Straight Win
SPRINGFIELD, MO - With two outs in the ninth inning and runners at first and second, the Tulsa Drillers were down by a run and Jared Walker stood at the plate in a two-strike hole. Walker came up big, finding the gap in right-centerfield for a two-run, game-winning double that proved to be the game winner in a 3-2 victory over the Springfield Cardinals.
Tuesday night's win is the Drillers second-straight, and marks the first time Tulsa has won consecutive games since winning three-straight against Corpus Christi from May 5-7.
Gavin Lux started the game off with a bang. On the third pitch of the game, Lux crushed an opposite field blast into the bullpen beyond the left field wall to give Tulsa a quick 1-0 lead.
After allowing only a trio of singles and striking out six, Drillers starter Dustin May was cruising through the first five innings. But the Cardinals broke through in the top of the sixth. May allowed a one out single to Irving Lopez, and Dylan Carlson followed with a home run, giving Springfield a 2-1 lead.
The Drillers bullpen did its job to keep Tulsa in the game. Jordan Sheffield relieved May and notched a pair of strikeouts in his outing, and Marshall Kasowski recorded three-straight outs in a perfect eighth inning.
After Lux's leadoff homer, the Drillers offense was quieted until they were down to their last out. Josh Thole and Zach McKinstry drew back-to-back walks to start the Tulsa threat.
With two outs and on an 0-2 count, Jared Walker served a fly ball into right-center that split the outfielders. Springfield rightfielder Randy Arozarena made a great diving effort at the ball but came up short, allowing both runners to score, giving the Drillers a 3-2 lead.
Walker's double would prove to be the game-winner. Shea Spitzbarth closed out the game by striking out two and recording a flyout to preserve the victory.
WHAT YOU MISSED:
Lux is currently riding an eight-game hitting streak. Over this stretch he is batting .375 with a homer and five RBI.
Sheffield made his second appearance since joining the Drillers and provided 1.1 scoreless innings out of the pen. He has allowed only one base runner in his first three Double-A innings.
Logan Landon provided the Drillers other extra-base hit. In the top of the sixth, Landon crushed one to deep right-center that bounced over the wall for a ground rule double.
UP NEXT: Tulsa at Springfield, Wednesday, May 22 at 11:10 AM at Hammons Field in Springfield, MO. TBA vs. RHP Williams Perez (4-2, 5.70 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Potts' Two-Double Night Not Enough in Sod Poodles 6-1 Loss to Hooks - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Walker Comes up Big in Drillers Second-Straight Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Travs and Naturals Postponed - Arkansas Travelers
- Mother Nature Wins Tonight: Naturals, Travelers Rained Out - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Vasquez, Three Homers Help Riders Down Hounds - Frisco RoughRiders
- Blue Ghosts Weekend Marks Packed Upcoming Homestand - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Modified Ticket Exchange Policy for May 18th - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Elvis Andrus Scheduled to Rehab with Riders Today - Frisco RoughRiders
- Howard, Calabuig Lead RockHounds to Win - Midland RockHounds
- Travs Fend off Naturals; Win Fourth Straight - Arkansas Travelers
- Cardinals Fall 5-2 to Drillers - Springfield Cardinals
- Bullish Bielak Leads CC - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Late Rally Falls Short in North Little Rock - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Sod Poodles Drop Game One 5-1 to Hooks, End Win Streak - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Four-Run Seventh Inning Leads Drillers Past Cards - Tulsa Drillers
- Phillips Phenomenal in Close Loss to Midland - Frisco RoughRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Drillers Stories
- ONEOK Field to Get Major Additions and Upgrades to LED Video Displays
- Drillers Announce 2020 Schedule and Start Times
- Amarillo Stuns Drillers with Ninth-Inning Rally to Win Title
- Amarillo Blanks Drillers to Force Winner-Take-All Game 5 Sunday at ONEOK Field
- Solbach, Wong Lead Drillers to Within One Win of Title